PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how long to install Ubuntu

musicman1705
June 8th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I am running an install of ubuntu right now i am just wondering how long dose it take for the install to complete.

Kronie
June 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
took me about 15 minutes..

tgm4883
June 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
It takes me about 30 minutes to install the system and any extra software that I want plus any updates that are available.

dhughes
June 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM
My computer is quite old and slow (6 year old 1.8GHz AMD Athlon XP2200), it took 45 minutes including downloading and applying the critical security updates via download manager.

louieb
June 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Depends on how fast your CD drive is. And how fast your CPU is.
I've seen it take anywhere from 15 min to an hour to install Linux.

musicman1705
June 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I seem to be spinning my wheels I boot from disc press F10 to load ubuntu.I then select engish/then install ubuntu,but it just seem to be taking for ever.I get another install window that says welcome then press forward.i do this and it just seem to sit there.I checked the dics for erros,there was none.Am i doing something wrong any help please.Thank you

louieb
June 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Sounds like your doing everything right so far. Also sounds like its not working right.
What kind of cpu and how much memory does the PC have?

lisati
June 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I seem to be spinning my wheels I boot from disc press F10 to load ubuntu.I then select engish/then install ubuntu,but it just seem to be taking for ever.I get another install window that says welcome then press forward.i do this and it just seem to sit there.I checked the dics for erros,there was none.Am i doing something wrong any help please.Thank you

Sounds like your doing everything right so far. Also sounds like its not working right.
What kind of cpu and how much memory doest the PC have?

musicman: I agree with louieb that it looks like you're doing everything right. Once we have an idea of the specs of your system, we might be in with a chance of guiding you through. A couple of possibilities come to mind, but we'll get to those shortly.....

Good luck!

musicman1705
June 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys.The computer i am trying to install on is and older laptop. Intel Architecture right now it has winXP Home edition.The specs are intel pent4 mobile CPU 1.70GHz/ 1.69GHz /224MB of ram.If you need more info just let me know.

louieb
June 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
...224MB of ram.

Thats it. Not enough ram to run the live CD installer. Believe you need 384MB minimum .
The alternate CD (text based installer) does work with less ram. Its not any harder to use. Illustrated Dual Boot Site (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/)
xUbuntu might be a little better too.

musicman1705
June 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Louibe,thanks for the help.So do i just go to the link you sent (read on) then it will tell me were,what and how to install.What is the alternate CD(text base install) and were do i download it.Sorry for so many ?.I am a real newbie when it come to installing any other OS beside WinXP.Should i make a new disc of the other OS(Xubuntu) that was mentioned?

louieb
June 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think the site has the link. anyway just go to the place you downloaded Ubuntu from - there is a check box toward the bottom to indicate you want the alternate CD.

Much as I like Ubuntu if all you want to do is surf the web and email try Puppy Linux (http://www.puppylinux.com/). It should be blazing fast of that PC.

musicman1705
June 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I am trying to install right now and i am getting a bunch of bootstrap warnings.What should i do?

dhughes
June 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys.The computer i am trying to install on is and older laptop. Intel Architecture right now it has winXP Home edition.The specs are intel pent4 mobile CPU 1.70GHz/ 1.69GHz /224MB of ram.If you need more info just let me know.

Xubuntu.org website hardware specs for Xubuntu:

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM.

Xubuntu is seems to be what you need, I have no idea why you're getting bootstrap errors.

At least I'll bump this post ;)