PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do you get that popup that takes over the whole screen and you can't exit

MeTylerDurden
June 8th, 2008, 03:55 AM
That popup is annoying because it is very hard to escape. Most of the time hitting f11 does it other times hitting f4 ,but that has also restarted my system. any help would be greatly appreciated

Oldsoldier2003
June 8th, 2008, 03:57 AM
That popup is annoying because it is very hard to escape. Most of the time hitting f11 does it other times hitting f4 ,but that has also restarted my system. any help would be greatly appreciated

what does this popup say? when does it happen?

SunnyRabbiera
June 8th, 2008, 03:58 AM
try ctrl-alt=backspace?

MeTylerDurden
June 8th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Usually happens on Pirate Bay,but takes over elsewhere 2 and is asking you to visit a site. Its a trap

Oldsoldier2003
June 8th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Usually happens on Pirate Bay,but takes over elsewhere 2 and is asking you to visit a site. Its a trap

most obvious answer: don't go there

other answer: use the no-scripts extension for FF

yet another answer: <self censored for CoC violations :) >

Falcorian
June 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Killing firefox will probably get rid of it.

killall firefox

You can use ctrl+alt+F1 to get to a terminal, and then ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to the gui after.

However, you should probably run NoScript (http://noscript.net/).

perlluver
June 8th, 2008, 05:14 AM

Have you tried alt+f4 on that pop-up? That seems to take them away for me.

Sinkingships7
June 8th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Press F11 twice (once to fullscreen it, and once to un-fullscreen it). The hold down alt and click anywhere on the popup and drag it to where you can see the X. click on it and it's gone.

hopelessone
June 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
If it's a popup can't you just Alt+Tab the the bottom bar will be visible and then Right click the popup and close it?