PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Booting into low-graphics mode?

rudedoggx
June 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
As of yesterday, my PC has been booting into low-graphics mode. I'm not qutie sure what caused this, but It will not change back. Yes, I have already updated my video driver.
My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9550, and it was working just fine yesterday..

hyper_ch
June 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
hmmm

(1) backup your xorg.conf

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf xorg.conf.back

(2) reconfigure x11

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server -phigh

(3) reboot (or restart xserver)

if that does not help, copy the backed up xorg.conf.bak back to its orginal state.

rudedoggx
June 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Package `xorg-server' is not installed and no info is available.

What does that mean?

hyper_ch
June 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
oh, it's:

xserver-xorg

rudedoggx
June 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
That seemed to solve the problem of 'low-graphics' mode, however, I'm now presented with a new problem. Whenever I scroll on this webpage (or any other) the page refreshes. I mean, whenever I try to scroll slightly the page takes about a second to refresh, it just isn't smooth. My monitor (or something) is making a very light high-pitched noise when it does this refreshing..

Also, my Graphics driver just uninstalled itself and is now 'not in use'? Should I update it again?

hyper_ch
June 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
try to update it again.

Or get a non-ati card ;)

sayakb
June 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Change the refresh rate to a higher value: System->Preferences->Screen resolution
Disable dual monitors if enabled.

rudedoggx
June 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Updating the driver did the trick, how do I mark this as solved?

What would you recommend for a video card?

sayakb
June 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Thread tools (@ top of thread)->Mark thread as solved.

hyper_ch
June 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
well, intel seems to be least problematic so far on linux.... nvidia - with the binary drivers - works also quite good.... ati just sux...

However I think I heard that ati is going to opensource their drivers soon - or something similar - so from then on ati will probably be best for linux... it is not at this moment.

But good the problem got solved.