PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu fragile compared to windows?

bulldoze
June 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I have a laptop installed with Xubuntu for the last 4 weeks now and I have had to do a complete reinstall twice now.

It seems that if the laptop runs out of power and the system switches off then plugging into AC again and switching on again the system just hangs with a black screen with white stripes down it and then.. thats it!

This has also happened when my baby son switches it off when he grabs it - like he did this morning!

Is this in anyway recoverable? I have lost everything twice now! Windows always seemed to be able to recover from these situations.

wannadumpwindows
June 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Sounds like you might need to check your power options. If your machine is set to hibernate on low power, and hibernation isn't set-up correctly for your machine, then it will cause issues. I'm not exactly sure what happens, but it sounds like it could be your issue.

bulldoze
June 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Is there anything I can try to restore the operating system before I do a complete reinstall?

bulldoze
June 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Ok, I got the operating system back now - don't know what I did!

I guess in the future I have to make sure the machine is shut down correctly each time - this could be very tricky with a laptop power issues!

Can ubuntu laptop power options? ie could it perform a controlled shutdown if power is low?

Many thanks

Paqman
June 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Can ubuntu laptop power options? ie could it perform a controlled shutdown if power is low?

In general, yes. However, some hardware setups don't play nicely with Ubuntu. Besides shutting down normally, Ubuntu can suspend to disk (called hibernation) or to RAM (called sleep) to save power.

You can test out sleep/hibernation manually. Go to shut down and it should give you buttons to test them out. It could just be that one or other of them isn't working properly on your laptop.

wannadumpwindows
June 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, and in the power options, you should have a choice of what you want your laptop to do on low power. Just go in and change it so when you reach low power, it will shutdown instead of suspend or sleep. If you're worried about keeping your place, you can go into your sessions menu and on the last tab, you can click the checkbox to remember your session for future logins. That way, even if you hit low power and get a shutdown, when you turn it back on, it will be just like when you shut it off!