PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia GE Force4 MX4000 cannot work

zenholy
June 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I have replaced the old graphic card with this nvidia ge force4 mx 4000 for my Pentium III processor 751 MHZ 384 MB RAM XP 2002 SP2.
However it seems it is not working...when I want to fix the web cam it wouldn't work..when I play games it wouldn't work. When I click the properties of the computer and general...it doesn't show I have NVidia?

Can someone help? Thanks

mgranet
June 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM
You should install the nvidia-glx package.

And post the output of
lspci

bumanie
June 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I think the mx4000 needs a nvidia legacy driver not nvidia-glx. Nvidia glx started a bit later; with the mx5200 - or there-abouts. When I had a mx4000, on feisty it installed OK via restricted drivers, but on gutsy, could only install via console and stopping gdm. Have a new computer now therefore I can't tell you whether hardware drivers works or not, but it should. If not you may have to use the console installation method which can be a bit of a pain as it has to be reinstalled with each kernel update.

davidsrsb
June 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
The MX4000 dates back to 2003, so the nvidia-glx-legacy is the best bet to try. This was a DirectX7 generation chip

zenholy
June 7th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. How and where do I get the nvidia-glx driver ? Thanks

davidsrsb
June 8th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Look in the standard repositories using Synaptic for
nvidia-glx-legacy
This should be in multiverse
The MX family aremore of a GeForce2 chip than a "4" - marketing
I don't thing the nvidia-glx is the right driver, though I could be wrong. Nvidia documentation on which chip needs which driver is poor

alienexplorers
June 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
You could use ENVY to load your driver. Select manual install and then select the last one in the list of 3 drivers. ENVY can be found in the repositories.