PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How do I install Nvidia Drivers?

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Hi I am new to Ubuntu I have the the Hardy Heron release and I am trying to figure out how to install the Drivers for a 9800gt.

Technoviking
June 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'm not sure if the current NVIDIA drivers in Linux support the 9800gt yet. You can try using the restricted driver manager.

Goto System --> Administration --> Hardware Drivers see if will let you install the NVIDIA driver.

PmDematagoda
June 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I don't think the 173 drivers have hit the Ubuntu repositories yet, so you may have to install the Nvidia drivers manually.

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 06:20 AM
How do I go about doing that? I followed some links but I ended up more confused.

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Also in my System>Admin it only shows Hardware drivers and when I open that up there is nothing there.

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Would be much appreciated. I like how Ubuntu works I just want to get these drivers setup tonight.

PmDematagoda
June 6th, 2008, 06:38 AM
First download the driver:-

wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.05/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run

Then install the prerequisites to install the driver:-

sudo apt-get install build-essential

After that is done, kill the X-Server with:-

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Run the installer with:-

sudo sh NV*.run
allow the installer to configure the X-Server.

Start the X-Server with:-

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

And there you go, it's installed.

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 06:48 AM
The code:

Crashed the comp. Is it supposed to do that or what do I need to do to make that code work?

Thank you for your help.

SteveNorman
June 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
you need to be in a virtual terminal before you do that, as it stops x server from running. In other words it closes your desktop down and brings you to a command prompt. Do this first:

CTRL_ALT_F1
Login
password

This will bring up a command prompt (No pictures)

then from the prompt proceed with

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 07:04 AM
but it still says the same thing when I put then next code in.

sudo sh NV*.run

sh: Can't open NV*.run

Is there something I need to do after I put

in the prompt?

SteveNorman
June 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM
try this

sudo chmod a+x ./NVIDIA*.run

and then

sudo sh NV*.run
again

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM
This is what I get now

chmod: cannot access `./NVIDIA*.run': No such file or directory

Bachstelze
June 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Of course, you must first change to the directory where you downloaded the driver. For example, if it's on your desktop :

cd ~/Desktop
sudo sh NVIDIA<tab>

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I will try that and post again. Thanks again Steve just so happens thats my name ha.

Just looked and it wasn't steve well whatever you all are very helpful thank you all.

SteveNorman
June 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
sorry, try

sudo chmod a+x ./NV*.run

where did you download the file to? is it on your desktop? you will see an icon for it if it is there.

if it is move it to your home directory first and try that.

first get the exact name of the file,,for example if its called nvidiadriver.173.someothercrap

do this

cd Desktop
mv nvidiadriver.173.someothercrap.run ~
cd
then to make sure its there

ls *.run

and you should see it,,

now do it all again including the chmod

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM
this is what I got

Tried running it from the desktop

Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find
suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available
on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bachstelze
June 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
You can't run it while you have a graphical interface running. You must first stop it using

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
mv: missing destination file operand after `NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run'
Try `mv --help' for more information.

thank you guys again

SteveNorman
June 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
after NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run there is a space and a tild < ~ >

so in Desktop

mv NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run ~

~ is your home directory,,

But try it from Desktop using Hymn's advise

If you get really stuck and have to start over here is a guide from starcannon from this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=813931&highlight=nvidia

Im off to bed but your in better hands than Mine with Hymntolife

Print out this guide, you will be in pure CLI for part of the install.

1) Download the driver for your Nvidia Card from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
1.a) Make sure its in your home directory, this will make it so we don't have to change directories later when were in terminal.

2) Open a terminal: Applications--> Accessories--> Terminal

3) sudo apt-get install build-essential

4) gksudo gedit /etc/modules
4.a) Add "nvidia" without quotes to the list.
4.b) Save and Exit

5) gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
5.a) Add "nv" without quotes to the restricted list. It should look exactly like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
5.b) Save and Exit

6) sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ./xorg.conf.backup

7) sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
7.a) Were just deleting your old xorg.conf file, we backed it up in step 6 just in case we ever need it back again.
7.b) Getting rid of old drivers, use one or more of the sections that apply to you:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you used Envy to attempt a previous nvidia install please run this command now before you go on:

sudo dpkg -P envy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have some old Ubuntu repository/restricted driver manager attempts installed please run this command before you go on:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
sudo rm /lib/restricted-modules/.nvidia*

If you have a failed NVIDIA*.run (drivers from the nvidia.com site) run this command before you go on:

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

################################################## ##################################
##................................................ ................................##
## Alright Now Assuming That You are starting with a clean slate lets move forward##
##................................................ ................................##
################################################## ##################################

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
8.a) Okay were in Command Line only now, we have a little left to do in here.
8.b)login:
8.c)Password:

9) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
9.a) This step shuts down the x-server and gnome desktop manager

10) sudo chmod a+x ./NVIDIA*.run
10.a) We made the nvidia installer executable.

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
11.a) Answer to the affirmative for all questions.
11.b) Be sure to specifically say you DO WANT it to write a new xorg.conf
11.c) If you somehow answered incorrectly on the last question in the installer then:
c.I) sudo nvidia-xconfig #this will write a new or attempt repair of an xorg.conf file for you.

12) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, you should also be able to enable desktop effects.

kayfes
June 6th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Im off too gotta work in the AM. I think when I was wandering around blind trying what I found on google I did something I shouldn't have. Since I just installed Ubuntu today I have no problem spending an hour or so tomorrow getting myself back to a clean slate. Tomorrow I am just going to reinstall and then use your guys advice from this thread. If it makes a difference I am trying to dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Just want to make sure I can play my games lol.

Thank you guys again.

SteveNorman
June 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
a couple of things,
1 the command
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop stops the xwindow,,which looks like a system crash. Its supposed to do that. Your screen will go black and give you a prompt.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start starts it again

2 you have to be in the same directory that the file is in to run it, or do any changes to it. If it is on your desktop (thats usually where it is when you download a driver) You must type
cd Desktop first

to get in to that directory OR move the file into whatever directory you want it in. moving a file is done with this format:

mv file_name newlocation

so to move it into home,,which is represented by a tilde ( ~ )

do

mv file_name ~

Since you tried to run the file,,you should follow that article I posted,,which removes anything left from previous attempts before re-installing. If you follow that procedure you will have to move the nvidia.run file into your home directory (the ~ ). As you run through the removal steps you will get some error messages for those steps that where unnecessary,,this is ok. When you get to the configuration procedure you will answer yes to all including the creation of a configuration file.

Just follow the procedure step by step in order and you will be ok. It will look like your system crashed,,but its supposed to do that so it can work on the visual stuff while its not running

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM
now when i go to Apps>System tools>nvidia x server settings, as this is the nvidia anything I can find anywhere it say to run nvidia-config as root. Will this enable the the drivers and if so how do I do that?

I should also mention that now I am running in low graphics mode after I followed everyones directions. And when I chose to configure everything the drivers for the Nvidia didn't show anything relevant to a 9 series for the card and I couldn't choose my monitor from the list. I have an LG L226wtq.

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Any help anyone can give would be great. Im at the point where I want to put my old card in which is 7 series geforce but that would mean I wasted the money on the 9 series. I just want to get this card working right other than that I love Ubuntu thus far.

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Damn I am so lost with what to do to get these drivers running. Is there anyone out there who is running a 9 series nvidia card that can help me out? Ill be honest I refuse to go back to XP and I am going to figure this one way or another. The thing that made mind up when choosing to switch to Linux and eventually Ubuntu was the fact that it had some appealing options visually when running it and I want to do that. I have yet been able to use the extra settings in visual effects. Everything else works fine for me except those and I think that once I get my card working I can use those.

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:06 AM
How do I do this:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ardvark71
June 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
How do I do this:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi...

What version of Ubuntu and video card?

Also, can you make a copy of your xorg.conf file and post it?

Best Regards...

alienexplorers
June 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM
enter in terminal

sudo nvidia-config
restart

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:22 AM
steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo nvidia-config
sudo: nvidia-config: command not found

I have the Hardy Heron version.

I went through installation for nvidia based on a post I made before this.

I put in on a Cd 2 days ago from my school and installed yesterday with dual boot. Want to figure out linux before I make the full switch.

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM
now when i go to Apps>System tools>nvidia x server settings, as this is the nvidia anything I can find anywhere it say to run nvidia-config as root. Will this enable the the drivers and if so how do I do that?

sudo nvidia-xconfig

will indeed enable the drivers, given they have been properly installed. Be careful though, if the drivers are in fact not installed properly, it will just break your graphical interface.

EDIT : Threads merged. Please do not create more than one thread for the same issue.

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:28 AM
And I still get his message

When I try to use Apps>system tools> Nvidia x server settings

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
You must restart X for the changes to take effect. Close all your applications, save your work, and press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

If you end up with no graphical interface, do this to restore the old settings :

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
my resolution settings are fixed but I still can't enable the extra settings for appearance settings> visual effects. That was my main goal with installing the drivers. What gives here?

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Please paste the output of those commands :

glxinfo| grep -i direct
grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo grep -i driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I have a PNY 9800 GT graphic card. Why can't I use the extra settings for visual effects in Ubuntu?

Might seem stupid but those are what made me try this OS.

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I have a PNY 9800 GT graphic card. Why can't I use the extra settings for visual effects in Ubuntu?

We're working on it ;) Please paste the output of the commands I told you.

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM
steven@steven-desktop:~$ glxinfo| grep -i direct
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
steven@steven-desktop:~$

steven@steven-desktop:~$ grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Driver "kbd"
Driver "mouse"
Driver "nv"

steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo grep -i driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[sudo] password for steven:
X.Org Video Driver: 2.0
X.Org XInput driver : 2.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//v4l_drv.so
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
(II) v4l driver for Video4Linux
(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1680x1050": 119.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 64.7 kHz, 59.9 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1680x1050": 146.2 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 65.3 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1280x1024": 135.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 80.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1280x1024": 109.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 63.7 kHz, 59.9 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1440x900": 136.8 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 70.6 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1440x900": 106.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 55.9 kHz, 59.9 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1280x960": 101.2 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 59.7 kHz, 59.9 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1152x864": 108.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 67.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1152x864": 104.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 67.7 kHz, 74.8 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "832x624": 57.3 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 49.7 kHz, 74.6 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "800x600": 36.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 35.2 kHz, 56.2 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(**) NV(0): Driver mode "720x400": 28.3 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 31.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
All right, you're still using the old nv driver. As I said, if the new driver is installed,

sudo nvidia-xconfig

will enable it. If it does not, then that means the driver is not installed. So, did you manage to complete the driver installation or not?

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well at least it said I did.

Code

NVIDIA-linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run

which was run from the home file location where it is at.

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Good, and the installation completed successfully? Then sudo nvidia-xconfig is all you need. Run it, and then paste the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM
steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

WARNING: The CorePointer device was not specified explicitly in the layout;
using the first mouse device.

WARNING: The CoreKeyboard device was not specified explicitly in the layout;
using the first keyboard device.

Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

steven@steven-desktop:~$ /etc/X11/xorg.conf
bash: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Permission denied

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM
To view the contents of a file, you can for example use the cat command, like this :

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

However, there seems to be something wrong with your current xorg.conf, try generating a fresh one, and then apply nvidia-xconfig again :

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo nvidia-xconfig

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 06:58 AM

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a Driver
line.

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
It seems that debconf is failing to detect your graphics card, maybe because it's too new. Please paste the contents of the file, as I told you earlier :

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

kayfes
June 7th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I actually run my own business and am going to be tied up until probably Monday. This is my home PC so it won't interfere with my business. Thank you again and I will check this thread tomorrow before I open up shop probably around 7 am pst.

Thank you for your help, your help and others help is the mainrason I am going to make the switch from MSWXP to Linux.

SteveNorman
June 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM
The post I put in from star commander is the technique for loading the latest drivers,(page 2 of this thread)

-It deletes old drivers,
-deletes failed install attempt residuals from different install possibilities
-deletes and creates a new xorg file.

I recommend doing those steps as it gives you a fresh start before loading the new driver. I just did it for my 8800 series,,which uses the same driver. My new card was not recognized until I did star commanders instructions,,note for note.

Xerp
June 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Envy does a great job at driver installation for me!

SteveNorman
June 8th, 2008, 01:19 AM
the problem is the newness of the card he's using,,you have to load it manually,,or use an older driver which defeats the purpose. Envy etc wont load the brand new drivers yet.

when you get it installed right you should start having game induced seizures in no time!

kayfes
June 8th, 2008, 02:39 AM
had some free time tonight

this is what I got

steven@steven-desktop:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder63) Mon May 19 00:33:37 PDT 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Also I went ahead and reinstalled Ubuntu and now that is the only OS on my comp.

I then went ahead and did what steve said and followed stars directions. However in stars guide in direction 6 this is what i get

steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo cp /etc/x11/xorg.conf ./xorg.conf.backup
cp: cannot stat `/etc/x11/xorg.conf': No such file or directory

Bachstelze
June 8th, 2008, 02:42 AM
With that xorg.conf file, you should be using the nvidia driver after you restart X.

steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo cp /etc/x11/xorg.conf ./xorg.conf.backup
cp: cannot stat `/etc/x11/xorg.conf': No such file or directory

It's X11, not x11.

kayfes
June 8th, 2008, 02:48 AM
ok so i go to apps>system tools> x server and this is what it says when I open it

I run sudo nvidia-xconfig

Then when I open up the nvidia x server i still get same message from above.

Neo0351
June 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Here's how i got my 9600gt just use the 173.14.05. Make sure you download the drivers for you architecture.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4558708&postcount=37

Bachstelze
June 8th, 2008, 02:57 AM
With that xorg.conf file, you should be using the nvidia driver after you restart X.

:-\"

SteveNorman
June 8th, 2008, 03:04 AM
do

ctrl-alt-backspace

log back in

then in terminal

nvidia-settings

then X Server Settings,what does it say?

myland
June 8th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I'm really total lost In this Resoulation. The 8.04 is just giving me what I want to do. The screen is 3/4 bigger that it is suppose to. I tried everything.
What about resinalling the 7.04 would that be better than what I have now. It work fine for awhile then it 3/4 of the screen if you go to the resulation area it is 640X320@50 or something like that with options to change it but downwared like 320X???.
Thanks,
Tom

kayfes
June 8th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Have no idea why this wont work. Is anyone else using a 9 series nvidia card and having similar issues?

kayfes
June 8th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Got it working finally just did what steve said thank you guys everyone who helped. Nows it time to get some games running! Anyone have any suggestions on to play games on Ubuntu?

Also I am not sure how to mark the thread as solved so any help there would be cool.

SteveNorman
June 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Glad it worked! Thread tools >>mark as solved,,the little medal on the bottom right is for thanking the poster,,and the report is for telling on them

kayfes
June 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Got Compiz fusion running now with the 3d cube desktop and its great. I am going to be asking myself forever why I didn't get rid of XP a long time ago! Thank you guys again for your help.

kayfes
June 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
If you update Ubuntu you will have to go through stars run through provided by Steve after you install. At least thats what I had to do. It only takes a couple of minutes no biggy, I kind of freaked when I restarted after install and was back to low quality screen settings. I actually just ran through steps 8-12. I don't know if that was the right way to do it but it worked for me.

Glugglug
June 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks I've got it running I think the ctrl+alt+f1 was a vital part in all that .

Sonic Reducer
June 9th, 2008, 12:14 AM
1)
sudo apt-get install envy-ng

2) then go to Applications > System Tools > EnvyNG

3) choose either nVidia or ATI on the left column and then either manual selection or automatic detection of hardware.

4) hit ok.

5) wipe hands on pants

Old Technology
October 20th, 2008, 02:11 AM
okay, I installed envyNG and ran it. With the driver enabled, my laptop's integrated screen doesn't work.

help, please?:confused:

regtheo
December 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I was trying for two days to understand some things and install my Nvidia 8600 GT. I made it thanks to these posts.

I thank you so much!