PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System won't boot after kernel update - Hardy

wheelwrightmike
June 6th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Hi,
I've been running 8.04 on a Thinkpad T22. The system was originally installed from the Beta of the Alternate install CD. For some reason, it installed LILO rather than grub. Today's upgrades included a new kernel. After installing the upgrades a reboot was required. The system will not boot.

[ 283.733630] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 000:00:03.1[A] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11

I have tried to boot with the original Beta Alternate CD and it stopped at the same message. And I just tried to boot with a system rescue CD and it stops at the same message.

Is this a hardware problem that just happened coinsident with the ubuntu update? Any idea what it is?

Thanks,
-Mike from Cleveland, OH, USA, currently in Calgary, Alberta, CA

jemate18
June 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM
You said that LILO was installed instead of GRUB?
I think it is strange since Ubuntu installs GRUB by default.

wheelwrightmike
June 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM
You said that LILO was installed instead of GRUB?
I think it is strange since Ubuntu installs GRUB by default.

I know. And I have no idea why it installed LILO. I tried installing grup from synaptic and if failed.

Thanks,
-Mike

Sef
June 6th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Now, I planned on wiping 7.1 in order to install 8.04, but I read earlier this morning about a kernel update that kills wireless. If this is the case, I am stuck with gutsy.

Some people decide to install LILO instead. Someone else had a similar problem.

On (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5120191#post5120191)another post it was recommended to reinstall LILO.

wheelwrightmike
June 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Some people decide to install LILO instead. Someone else had a similar problem.

On (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5120191#post5120191)another post it was recommended to reinstall LILO.

They suggest reintalling lilo from a live CD. If I knew how to do that, I would try. I just made a new live CD. I posted back on that thread asking how.

Can I re install LILO from an alternate CD? A thinkpad T22 can't boot from the live CD because the savage video card doesn't get set up right by the X server.

Thanks,
-Mike