PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fresh hardy install = vertical pink line

Knacker
June 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM
i just completed a fresh installation of ubuntu 8.04. i have a thin (1 pixel wide) vertical pink line that runs from the top of screen to the bottom on the left side of the screen. i'm using a thinkpad t61, with a nvidia 140m video card. I've done all the updates and tried enabling (and then disabling) the proprietary video card with the little hardy driver manager. i reinstalled because i was having too much trouble with video problems and now i really don't want to screw things up again. possible courses of action that I've considered but not done:
1) download and figure out how to install the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia (the proprietary drivers in ubuntu are, i think, a few versions behind the rest of the world...why is that?)
2) trying to figure out how to use something called "envy" to fix matters
unfortunately i don't know how to do either of these things (step by step anywhere??) and, again, i really don't want to mess up again by blindly frigging around. anyone have any ideas? i'm really tired of trying to make this thing work. please help.
EDIT: the pink line disappeared very briefly when i did the big post-installation update: it flickered on and off toward the end of the update and then disappeared, only to reappear when i rebooted!

Knacker
June 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
anyone? I'm really stuck. Despite indications that this is a driver/software problem, nothing i've done has effected it (besides that moment when I was updating ubuntu...). i've tried using envy (but it just installed the same driver (169....), i've tried manaully installing latest nvidia driver (173...) and neither have worked. anyone? how can i tell whether it's just my screen? please help. thanks.
p.s. i'm not using compiz or compiz fusion or anything...though i was before i had the problem.

melrom
June 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I've always enjoyed the instructions that nVidia gives.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

quick search of the forums also provides this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4684627&highlight=nvidia+140m#post4684627