PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] switch between windows/ubuntu without shutting down?

Zavie A.
June 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I' semi-new to Ubuntu so i still have a few possibly dumb questions.
one being, Is there a way to switch between windows and ubuntu WITHOUT shutting down or restarting the computer?

tamoneya
June 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
your best option is probably to use a virtual machine like virtualbox or vmware. Personally I like virtual box more. This will allow you to run another operating inside your active one. eg: xp running inside virtual box install on ubuntu.
it is best to get the deb from virtualboxes site since the one in the repository does not have usb support.

stchman
June 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
one being, Is there a way to switch between windows and ubuntu WITHOUT shutting down or restarting the computer?

Without using Virtualbox or VMWare no.

avtolle
June 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
your best option is probably to use a virtual machine like virtualbox or vmware. Personally I like virtual box more. This will allow you to run another operating inside your active one. eg: xp running inside virtual box install on ubuntu.
it is best to get the deb from virtualboxes site since the one in the repository does not have usb support.
+1 on the use of a virtual machine as your best option. I don't do this, so the one to choose is up to you, but the suggestion made here is logical.

darth_indy
June 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I use a virtual machine m'self; VirtualBox, specifically. It's the only option if you don't want to reboot, but it only works well if you have a lot of RAM, and if you have a fairly decent processor. For example, I have a Centrino dual core (I know, I know, not very great processor, but still works well) and 2 GB of RAM. I reserve 512 MB for XP when it's running, and it works fine for what I need.

Zavie A.
June 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM
okay..

thank you all! :D

billgoldberg
June 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM

It's not possible to switch between your current xp and ubuntu install without shutting one of them down.

You could use virtualisation, but that's only useful if you need an app you can't get in ubuntu.

It's not usable for gaming or heavy applications.

darth_indy
June 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM
It's not usable for gaming or heavy applications.

Oops, guess we should have mentioned that earlier. :) I use my VM for mainly syncing my Zune (which I bought before getting into Linux), and I've used it for media-rich PowerPoint, and Photoshop. However, both work in Wine now, so I barely use my VM any more.