PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] generic localhosts question

fontenot_1031
June 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know how to configure virtual hosts so that you can load a website running on your computer (localhost) on any computer in the local network?
I'm at my school right now with my website on my laptop (which has apache2 installed) and I need to present the website I've been working on this semester. I can't put it on the school's computer for the presentation because they don't have php or mysql installed (most of the semester is learning about HTML and flash). I'm currently connected on my laptop to the school's wireless (I can connect to their network through the LAN if needed).

Oldsoldier2003
June 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know how to configure virtual hosts so that you can load a website running on your computer (localhost) on any computer in the local network?
I'm at my school right now with my website on my laptop (which has apache2 installed) and I need to present the website I've been working on this semester. I can't put it on the school's computer for the presentation because they don't have php or mysql installed (most of the semester is learning about HTML and flash). I'm currently connected on my laptop to the school's wireless (I can connect to their network through the LAN if needed).

if your apache server is running any you haven't closed the ports using iptables or UFW then anyone on the lan should be able to connect to you by your ip address.

fontenot_1031
June 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
if your apache server is running any you haven't closed the ports using iptables or UFW then anyone on the lan should be able to connect to you by your ip address.
I currently don't even have a firewall on my computer running. I suppose it could be a closed port on the school's internet though :(

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /wwwroot/
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /wwwroot/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny