PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java Runtime Environment Help

redfox1160
June 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I need help installing the Java Runtime Environment. I went to http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm and tried to use the guide, but it said I needed the root password. I don't know what this is, can someone tell me how to find it out?Thanks.

The Cog
June 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Unless you have a very good reason to do otherwise, I suggest you install the JRE that comes with Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

redfox1160
June 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
It says I still need to install a plugin. when i try to run a online java program. can i just do it the way the website said? if so, how to i find the root password.

Pepperoni
June 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
It says I still need to install a plugin. when i try to run a online java program. can i just do it the way the website said? if so, how to i find the root password.

Right there with ya. I'm having Java issues as well. I've tried downloading installing Java from java.com, but it didn't help.

The root password is disabled. You'd have to use the sudo command to elevate your priviledges and install it.

stchman
June 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I need help installing the Java Runtime Environment. I went to http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm and tried to use the guide, but it said I needed the root password. I don't know what this is, can someone tell me how to find it out?Thanks.

As long as you have your account set up to administer the system just use your password. If you are running 32 bit and want Java use this line in a terminal:

sudo apt-get -y install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

In Ubuntu root does not have a password.

The Cog
June 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM
OK, if ou insist.

I installed my java JDK from a Sun download (I wanted a later version than Ubuntu provided). I did it this way:

Download the binary fron Sun's web site. Get the self-extracter, nit the RPM.

Get a root prompt by using the command sudo -i.

Change the the /opt directory: cd /opt

Execute the download: sh whatever-it-was.bin
and agree to the terms etc. It should create a directory under /opt.

Link to the java executable by making a symlink in /usr/local/bin:
cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/bin/java java

Link the plugin to Firefox. cd to your fireox plugins directory and from there make a symlink to the java plugin like this:
cd /wherever-firefox-is/plugins
ln -s /opt/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

redfox1160
June 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM
As long as you have your account set up to administer the system just use your password. If you are running 32 bit and want Java use this line in a terminal:

sudo apt-get -y install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

In Ubuntu root does not have a password.

Thanks so much, this worked.