PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] overheating halp!

feedmeh8
June 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
hey guys im using a Lenovo T61 and my fan wont seem to turn on ... ever. Its getting really hot and im a little worried .. any help would be greatly appreciated ty :)

deltaprime
June 5th, 2008, 09:12 PM
open it up and check if your connection is loose, if not, make sure you send your laptop for repair or buy a new fan and put it in yourself.
dont use your computer too much especially for apps that need a lot of power ie games....

good luck

DELAT

Vadi
June 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
If it does overheat, it'll auto-shutdown.

feedmeh8
June 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
thanx for responding so fast guys, it was working fine before ubuntu. (WinXP) i love ubuntu and i want to keep it, but not if my laptop keeps shutting down. does anyone know if there is a program i can get or something to regulate fan speed. im thinin that may help.

sayakb
June 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
The ACPI Fan should work regardless of which operating system is loaded. Does it work on XP while it doesnt on Ubuntu? If so, then it's a very unlikely situation. Otherwise, report it to your customer care.

ardvark71
June 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
The ACPI Fan should work regardless of which operating system is loaded. Does it work on XP while it doesnt on Ubuntu? If so, then it's a very unlikely situation. Otherwise, report it to your customer care.

Hi...

I saw another thread just like this one not too long ago and this kind of problem may not be isolated or random. :(

Just as a test, the OP could create a dual boot system with XP and see if the same problem is repeated while using that OS.

Also, Ubuntu programmers should investigate if some systems are being made now that share or place responsibility of cooling hardware on the OS (Windows.)

Just my thoughts. ;)

Best Regards...

feedmeh8
June 6th, 2008, 12:22 AM
ya if i switch over to xp and play a game (WoW) the fan will come on eventually, but not on ubuntu for some reason. it just gets hotter and hotter till it shuts down :(

billgoldberg
June 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Correct.

It's most likely a hardware problem.

The computer can't get too hot. I will auto-shutdown before any damage is done.

ardvark71
June 6th, 2008, 02:22 AM
ya if i switch over to xp and play a game (WoW) the fan will come on eventually, but not on ubuntu for some reason. it just gets hotter and hotter till it shuts down :(

Ok, this confirms my point. It is hardware related to an extent but, as Ubuntu's programmers should determine, the software (the OS) is definately playing a role here. :(

Best Regards...