PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] minimal cd

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I've been told to burn a minimal cd for what I want to do (build from the ground up). -- that is without going gentoo or anything like that :D

is this hard to do? apt-getting everything? have you gone through it yourself and is there a place that lists applications and how you can get them via apt-get?

thanks!

If I can figure this out this is the way to go for me :)

avtolle
June 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems while not strictly about a minimal CD install has much information which you might find helpful.

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
thanks! that'll definately get me started! I'm so looking forward to this!

also, it says to "check the repositories for other package ideas".

me being on a live disc of a different distro is there a way to check the repositories online?

ps.

this might sound dumb but repositories = programs?

Duck2006
June 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
This is how to install a text base install.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

kerry_s
June 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
go debian, it's the perfect base to build on.
net installer:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/lenny_di_beta1/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso

at package selection uncheck everything, that will give you a base install.
apt-get install xorg
(that gives you X, you need a window manager, i'll do fluxbox since it's most common)

apt-get install fluxbox menu
then
update-menus

now log out, type->
exit

startx

open a terminal and build on.

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
thanks for the second day in a row :)

is there a package list somewhere with apt-get instructions? i'll search around in the meantime.

think I found it.

this it?

http://packages.debian.org/stable/

also also: would I want to install i386 packages?

Duck2006
June 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
would I want to install i386 packages?

Yes.

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I believe I'll be good to go here soon thanks to this post :)

Inxsible
June 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Keep in mind, that if you install just the base, you will have to manually install EVERYTHING.

and that means you have to install packages for your sound/webcam/microphone etc.

I installed E17 on a minimal of Ubuntu and then was trying to get to play music...and then it hit me that I didn't install any sound drivers :)

Good Luck.

P.S. It would be better if there was a list somewhere which listed these kinda things. You can remember which app you want as an editor -- but its these background things like sound drivers and mic drivers that people tend to forget until they actually want to use it.

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Ya know.. I didn't think of that. Thanks. If I install a minimal ubuntu would it have the sound installed or is that the same thing?

cariboo907
June 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It will install the modules needed for your sound card, but it won't install a sound driver like alsa or oss or the codecs you need to play the various types of media files.

Have fun.

Jim

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
so it'll be able to recognize the sound card but not play media?

I'll have to install them much like I had to enable MP3 support when I installed ubuntu?

kerry_s
June 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
if your using debian, its:
apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-oss
then while your still root
alsaconf

that will run you through the setup of your card. you then need to:
reboot

that will load everything. when you get back to the gui, just use alsamixer to adjust the volumes where you want them.

AnLGP
June 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I've got it up .. not running. I've installed xorg (at least it told me I'd better abide by the rules and listed three things)...

but when I say "startx" in the terminal it says "command can't be found".

I've gotten all the way up to installing fluxbox but when I do "sudo update-menus" it says "command not found. I'm stuck!

I installed this:

x-window-system

after the fluxbox. is that a prob.?

Inxsible
June 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I've got it up .. not running. I've installed xorg (at least it told me I'd better abide by the rules and listed three things)...

but when I say "startx" in the terminal it says "command can't be found".

I've gotten all the way up to installing fluxbox but when I do "sudo update-menus" it says "command not found. I'm stuck!

I installed this:

x-window-system

after the fluxbox. is that a prob.?

You need to install the package "menu" to be able to use the update-menus command.

Try this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fluxbox?highlight=%28fluxbox%29) for a minimal + fluxbox installation. I think its a great tutorial.

wolfen69
June 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Keep in mind, that if you install just the base, you will have to manually install EVERYTHING.

and that means you have to install packages for your sound/webcam/microphone etc.

not true. all of my hardware was recognized and working after a minimal install.

Inxsible
June 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM
not true. all of my hardware was recognized and working after a minimal install.
Well, its great if everything worked for you out of the box. It didn't work for me :(

AnLGP
June 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM
The sound isn't working even after I installed all those things :(

also,

when I start the system up it goes into the CL prompt. I'd like some kind of login window. slim or grub or somethin'. I've got grub installed but it is somehow skipped on boot? I'm pretty sure I've got to configure it somehow but am unsure of how to do that.

Inxsible
June 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM
The sound isn't working even after I installed all those things :(
Did you type in
alsamixer in a terminal and max all the volumes?

Also note, that if it says Mm at the bottom, it means that its muted. To toggle mute/unmute, select the level and hit M

AnLGP
June 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM
some I can't move for some reason and they're all unlocked. The ones I can move are up all the way.