PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rematersys questions

Roen hayden
June 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Remastersys questions

Ok so I plan on installing some programs and changing settings in those programs. Then I plan on changing the loading screen, login screen and themes of ubuntu. Now if I use remastersys will it keep all those settings and allow other users that install my customized ubuntu keep all those settings and allow them to create there account keeping those themes and settings? (IE if i have changed settings in firefox and added bookmarks wil they stay.)The reason why i ask is because remastersys only allows you to Create a customized Live CD/DVD of Ubuntu and derivatives. OR Backup all the system, including user data to an installable Live CD/DVD. I basically want to keep every thing and still allow user to create there own account opon installion and firefox bookmarks & setting & other changes still be in there. If this does not make sense let me know. And if you know of a better program that can do this let me know.

billgoldberg
June 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Remastersys questions

Ok so I plan on installing some programs and changing settings in those programs. Then I plan on changing the loading screen, login screen and themes of ubuntu. Now if I use remastersys will it keep all those settings and allow other users that install my customized ubuntu keep all those settings and allow them to create there account keeping those themes and settings? (IE if i have changed settings in firefox and added bookmarks wil they stay.)The reason why i ask is because remastersys only allows you to Create a customized Live CD/DVD of Ubuntu and derivatives. OR Backup all the system, including user data to an installable Live CD/DVD. I basically want to keep every thing and still allow user to create there own account opon installion and firefox bookmarks & setting & other changes still be in there. If this does not make sense let me know. And if you know of a better program that can do this let me know.

I tried it once, it kept my programs but I was unable to change the artwork.

But I don't really know the program that well.

I'm sure it's possible.

I think there is a program out there that just clones your ubuntu install and creates a live cd (with or without option to install, I forgot).

The name also slips my mind.

Maybe someone else will know it's name.

Roen hayden
June 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Oh ok thanks for your help there should be an easy way of doing this.

But yea I just basically want it to keep everything I add and change. And give the cd user to ability to create his account upon installation.

Roen hayden
June 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM
So am i going about this the right way?

philinux
June 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I just successfully remastered my system.

I had a few snags.

1. Keeping the image file to less that 4.7 gig. Had to exclude folders. I'm backing these up separately.

Using a DVD-RW.
2. K3b failed to burn - result one coaster, yes an rw coaster.
3. CD/DVD creator failed, ended up with a blank disk even though it said burning.

4. Finally gnomebaker burnt it and it boots.

5. It kept my login theme and my desktop wallpaper.

6. Only change was login background colour reverted to beige.