PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mic Not working properly

JCDenton1o1
June 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
When ever I try to use VOIP programs like skype, my friends on the other side cant here me, unless I scream at the top of my lungs, and even then its too faint. I turned on the mic boost, and set all the sound bars to max, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Whenever I go into sound recorder to test, it just keeps telling me my multimedia settings are wrong, but give no hint to whats wrong.

help!

michaelaly
June 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Try the mic on a another computer/OS if possible. I had a similar problem and it turned out the mic hardware was faulty.
Question, is the mic USB or standard 1/4"?

ubuntu-freak
June 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Is Hardy your first taste of Ubuntu? It uses a new sound server called PulseAudio, so you may have better results (for now) using the sound server that was previously default:

sudo apt-get install esound

That should remove the PulseAudio sound server also. You may need to go into the preferences of non-GNOME apps (such as VLC, MPlayer etc) and switch the sound driver to ALSA.

Reboot/logout as well.

JCDenton1o1
June 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
michaelaly: No, just this one, and its a 1/4 plug

RO: all right all see what that does.

ubuntu-freak
June 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM
It would actually be ideal if you could test another mic.

JCDenton1o1
June 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I dont have another mic unfortently, but the switching of the sound program has left me with no sound at all.

JCDenton1o1
June 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
im done, nothing is working on my computer now, im going back to windows. Bye.

ubuntu-freak
June 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
im done, nothing is working on my computer now, im going back to windows. Bye.

Why? Navigate to System > Preferences > Sound and select ALSA, instead of Autodetect. Also, you can remove Esound and reinstall the PulseAudio-related packages if you still have issues with Esound. We don't even know if it was perhaps your mic causing the trouble in the first place.