PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] tty console

janskey
June 5th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to to see what a user is doing when he logs in through ssh?

ex.
# w
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
choy pts/0 10.0.1.61 13:11 1.00s 3.53s 0.26s sshd: choy [priv]
naka pts/2 10.0.1.27 20:04 11:49m 0.27s 0.05s sshd: naka [priv]

Is it possible to see what he is doing? can i send naka a message? Thanks!

tamoneya
June 5th, 2008, 04:32 AM
man wall
sudo wall message.txt

unutbu
June 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM
To see all processes owned by naka:

ps -U naka -u naka uww

janskey
June 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM
so wall can send messages. how about looking on what he is doing in the terminal?

Dr Small
June 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
man wall
sudo wall message.txt
I always used 'write'. Me and tronyx used that alot to talk to Sega when we were rooting eric's box. :D

janskey
June 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I always used 'write'. Me and tronyx used that alot to talk to Sega when we were rooting eric's box. :D

thanks for write..i tried and works smoothly..but how about looking on what a user is doing on his terminal? i know 'w' would show what a user is doing. any other tools?

Dr Small
June 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
thanks for write..i tried and works smoothly..but how about looking on what a user is doing on his terminal? i know 'w' would show what a user is doing. any other tools?
Not really, I don't know off hand. But to see a list of proccesses the user is running, you can try:

ps aux | grep user

janskey
June 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
yes i tried that and i tried "history" also. my problem is that we have the same user account. so its hard to track down. :)

unutbu
June 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Have naka open up a terminal with

gnome-terminal -e "script"

This will record a transcript of the terminal session in a file called (by default) typescript.

Then you can view the typescript with

cat typescript | less -r

janskey
June 8th, 2008, 02:46 AM
is there any other tool that i could sniff up on what he is doing except typescript? what if we have the same user account? thanks...

daleus
June 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I once logged on as the other user, ran screen, and didn't close the screen session, when they logged in, I did screen -r, and I could see what they were doing in realtime, even messing with what they were typing. They did not have to load screen or anything.

I havn't been able to make this work since.