PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Booting with a CD or SD card onto a USB installation?

cyology
June 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Hi,

I have somewhat of an interesting dilemma. I have a Toshiba M200 tablet PC sitting around with a broken hard drive which I can't remove due to a stripped screw. I'd like to run a barebones Linux install on it so I can use it as a notepad and maybe browse the internet or play some music on it. I have a CD/DVD drive I can boot off of, or an SD card that it can boot from. It only supports 1GB SD cards. It cannot boot from a USB drive.

I was wondering if it was possible for someone to either recommend a way to install some easy to set up form of Linux onto the 1GB SD card I have. Alternatively, is there some way to have a CD or SD card do the initial bootup and then pass control onto an installation on a larger USB key?

I just need a distribution with a basic GUI, support for Wacom drivers for the pen digitizer, and the ability to easily install one of the various programs that take pen input for note taking (Xournal/Gournal). None of the other bells and whistles are necessary (OO.o, etc.)

tamoneya
June 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM
since you can only use 1GB i would recommend that you not use ubuntu. You should probably use something lighterweight like xubuntu of gOs. To the computer an SD card and a USB drive look very similar so you should be able to follow these directions with minimal modification to get this setup:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/27/usb-gos-persistent-install-from-live-cd/

I recommend not doing this from a CD because it is much slower than a harddrive or flash drive and it causes everything to run sluggishly.