PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] no audio on inspiron 1525 after 8.04 install‏

cjdawson73
June 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
please bear with me here, very green with ubuntu. just to a new inspiron with ubuntu and did the recommended upgrad to 8.04. now there is no sound. again, i'm new so detailed instructions would be helpful. The card '82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller' is listed under device manager, the status says 'status'. Thanks!

ruffEdgz
June 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have the same Audio Drivers on my XPS and they worked well when I installed 8.04.

Go to System >> Preferences >> Sound and make sure they are all on 'Autodetect'. I have my device set to 'HDA Intel'.

Outside from that, I was good with getting my XPS 1530 to work and I would hope it would be the same for ya ;)

Hope it works for ya :D

wolfen69
June 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM
i have tried to get sound working with that soundcard with no luck. see THIS (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto) for some possible help.

xfceuser
June 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM
hi, first type

asoundconf list

in the list find your sound card name then

sudo asoundconf set-default-card PARAMETER

instead of parameter type your sound card name.

then

gnome-alsamixer

if it said not installed, install it by the instruction it gives you.
then check and tune all the controls of the mixer.

cjdawson73
June 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
thank, all mine are set to 'autodetect' as well. when I click on 'test' i get a the error:

'audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument'

cjdawson73
June 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
after 'asoundconf list'

i get:

'Names of available sound cards:'

nothing else. ??

ruffEdgz
June 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
That is odd... I check out this link: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron1525?highlight=(1525) and found that it seems to work with Hardy but xfceuser's or wolfen69's solution looks like it could work out for ya (never bad to try :D).

Like I said before, my xps has the same audio drivers so you could try one of the solutions I found for the XPS: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingUbuntuOnADellXPSM1530#head-3db3b05e71bfc5d5815a28c25fe25b7055767ba7

Hope to hear that the audio is working :D

lsmobrian
June 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
thank, all mine are set to 'autodetect' as well. when I click on 'test' i get a the error:

'audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument'

Do you have any applications open that might have some kind of lock on the sound settings. I tried changing sound preferences and testing when rhythmbox was open and it made an error(not a ubuntu box right now, sry I cant test to see if its the same error)

cjdawson73
June 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
all other apps are closed. thanks for the tips but still down

avtolle
June 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
The system is not detecting your soundcard (obvious conclusion, huh?). I believe I saw a solution for something similar here a few days ago, but didn't bookmark it. I suggest looking at the wiki piece linked above.

shadowfirebird
June 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Same here. This was fine in 8.04 yesterday -- It looks like it's been caused by a kernel upgrade, since that's the only thing I upgraded yesterday that wouldn't have kicked in right away.
Okay, that's confirmed. I've just removed the kernel upgrade and sound came back.

Let me look around for advise from wiser souls, and I'll post here again.

shadowfirebird
June 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
There's a thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=819680) that reports a similar problem, but no answers as I type this.

If you've upgraded your 8.04 Ubuntu within the last day or so and the sound has gone, this may help:

1) Open Synaptic Package Manager (in Administration tools).

2) click the search button. Search for package names with "linux-image-".

3) You're looking for packages like this "linux-image-<bunch of numbers>-generic". You're going to have at least one installed (green box). If you don't, I'm confused, stop now.

4) right-click on 2.6.24-19 and select "mark for removal".

5) !!! Make sure that the previous kernel, 2.6.24-18, is installed, or your computer will stop working!!! (if not, right-click on it and select "mark for installation".)

6) Click "apply" and watch your computer reconfigure itself.

7) I found that deinstalling the current kernel confused my computer temporarily (!) -- I fixed it with a reboot. (ctrl-alt-F1; login; "sudo shutdown -r now".)

Hope that helps.

cjdawson73
June 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM
this worked

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04/Issues/No_Sound_After_Distribution_Or_Kernel_Upgrade

jmacknmo
August 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM

I am having a similar issue with my Shuttle KPC. I suspect it may be due to my running Squeezebox Slimserver on startup. How do I close it down so I can initialize the soundcard?
Idiot's guide please...

Thanks