View Full Version : [xubuntu] install freezefreezing during install

June 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I have an older system that i wanted to play with.

Celeron 600
64mb ram

Im trying to install xubuntu because i hear its good for low end systems. I have tried several times to install and it stops at the same places every time.

Partition drive?
??? ???
<yes> <no>

basically after i hit yes it just sits at a blue screen. If i hit CTRL+C it will end whatever process is running and go to the next screen which is "Setting up partitioner..." and it will get to 47% and stop every time. At this point i have to turn off power to do anything.

June 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Try the alternate CD

or fluxbuntu

June 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
im using the alternate cd, sorry should have mentioned that

June 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe you should try Damn Small Linux or Puppy.

June 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Have you checked the integrity of your Xubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Xubuntu boot screen menu ?

June 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Have you checked the integrity of your Xubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Xubuntu boot screen menu ?

yes, cd checked good after i burned it and also in the disc integrity check

June 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I had some wierd problems partitioning w/ the partinioner on the Ubuntu CD. I forget what the exact error was.

I got Ubuntu installed by using PartitionMagic, which I had installed on my Windows partition, and resizing the NTFS partition and leaving the rest as free space. I don't know your situation exactly.

I suggest partitioning (or at least freeing space) before running the installer.

August 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have the same problem with the desktop Hardy CD. I can reboot, select install from the menu and it goes okay until the partitioner screen opens. The progress bar goes to 46% and then stops with no partitions displayed and all the buttons grayed out.

I partitioned the drive with Windows XP when I installed it, so there is one big XP partition and a small one for Linux. There is no free space. The HD is SATA but the BIOS has the default mode as IDE so I don't think it is not finding the drive...but it may not be. When I start the desktop, I see no evidence it recognizes the Windows drive or any drive other than the DVD drive, which is IDE.

I defragged XP and restarted with the same results.

August 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Assuming you have enough memory (384); try adding all_generic_ide at the end of your boot line.

August 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM

to the boot line (using F6 option) allowed the installer to find my 250 GB Sata HD with the XP and one free space partition. I was able to create (very tight squeeze into 8GB) root, swap and home partitions to at least get Ubuntu installed. I did not see a way to resize the XP partition, but this should get me started (I've used SuSE before, could never get video streaming to work reliably).