PDA

View Full Version : kde or gnome

boywholinuxed
June 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
hi,
i'm quite new to linux and i tried both ubuntu and kubuntu and found both are equally efficient in their own way.

but recently i read that linus torvalds says everyone should take kde because it is much more secure and user friendly than gnome and will continue to be improve whereas gnome is slipping away slowly.

is there any truth in this?

Joeb454
June 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
It's just a matter of personal preference to be honest.

Personally I use Gnome, and I'm not much of a KDE fan

housam
June 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I think that both are at the same level of security. I have them both on my laptop and prefer Gnome more than kde.

apparle
June 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I prefer KDE. I recommend you start a poll and see the results

Paqman
June 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
is there any truth in this?

No, it's just an opinion. Many people would disagree strongly.

sayakb
June 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Found a Gnome vs KDE poll here:
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/10/poll-indicates-gnome-most-popular.html (http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=565005)

Also, neither Gnome, nor KDE has anything to do with the OS's kernel or security. They are just two discrete DEs having their own set of applications. I recommend that you install Ubuntu (DE: Gnome) and install the package: kubuntu-desktop.
So when you login at GDM/KDM, you can choose to log into a Gnome or a KDE session.

Sef
June 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Moved to recurring discussions.

boywholinuxed
June 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
i prefer gnome even though i use kde,but someone like linus torvalds says something like you obviously get worried!
but i checked some online forums and the view is that gnome is going down and kde is coming up in terms of user friendliness,security etc.again is there any truth in this?

cardinals_fan
June 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I prefer dwm.

gabhla
June 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Used both Gnome and KDE. Discovered I preferred KDE, which is why I use Kubuntu. But, wouldn't have a problem using Gnome. It's a matter of personal preference.