PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to mount a ntfs drive in ubuntu 8.04

krishnakittu
June 3rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
i have 3drives which are in ntfs format.i have data in those drives.when i am trying to access the drives it is showing to mount the drives.when i did so the following message is shown
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sda6': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for
your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /mnt/mount -o force

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda6 /mnt/mount ntfs-3g force 0 0

can u plz...help me out of this problem:(

Pumalite
June 3rd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Close Windows down properly.

aysiu
June 3rd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Paste this command in the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal)?
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /mnt/mount -o force

ladr0n
June 3rd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Boot into windows and shut down properly. This kind of thing happens when you either hibernate Windows (which causes Windows to vomit the contents of its RAM all over your hard drive in the form of pagefiles), or Windows doesn't properly clean up its NTFS journal before shutting down.

In other words... Choice 1

--Edit--
If he forces the mount, couldn't that potentially corrupt the NTFS volume? I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that forcibly mounting an NTFS partition was a bad idea.

jualin
June 3rd, 2008, 03:50 AM
the "force" command should work however when you get that message is because of an unclean shutdown so you should access windows and shut it down correctly.

Edit: I think it may corrupt the NTFS file system, if it wasn't a bad idea then I assume that you would not have to "force" the mount. So I would go for the clean shutdown

kvarley
March 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I can't do a clean shutdown of the drive from windows as I installed Ubuntu over it.

Pumalite
March 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
sudo fdisk -lu

Mark Phelps
March 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I can't do a clean shutdown of the drive from windows as I installed Ubuntu over it.

Huh?? You can't install Ubuntu natively in an NTFS partition; you can only install it in an NTFS partition "inside Windows" via Wubi. And, in that case, Windows is still there and bootable.

Don't understand how you can have Ubuntu sitting in an NTFS partition without Windows.

Perhaps the fdisk will tell us.

jualin
March 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM

Are you using Ubuntu 9.04 or 8.04?
If you want to mount a NTFS partition that was not shutdown properly, use the force command and force it to mount as described above. Hope this helps!