PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Acer eRecovery & Boot-Loader Woes

Jesdisciple
June 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
I installed v7.10 on my Acer laptop, and it worked fine. But I was hoping to dual-boot it, and when I tried booting WinXP I ran into Acer eRecovery. I entered my password (which I found in aimdrs.dat on the PQService drive via Ubuntu), and got some error, the content of which I don't recall.

Frustrated, I booted on the Ubuntu Live CD and formatted my hard drive except the partition where I believe WinXP to be. Then I tried to boot but ran into Error 17, which I think indicates that GRUB is missing.

I found the GRUB project site and tried to find the most recent GRUB Legacy (because it's stable), but 1.98 is called GRUB2 and the border version isn't indicated. What's the latest release of GRUB Legacy?

Also, I apparently need to download several GNU libraries to run GRUB; can I get a comprehensive list of those? (The 1.98 release has a list of several including "Other standard GNU libraries" or the like, which isn't very helpful.)

And of course, am I trying to apply the correct solution?

Thanks!

Xiong Chiamiov
June 3rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
SuperGrubDisk (http://supergrubdisk.org) will save you a lot of time. It will guide you through installing GRUB and getting it configured the way you want. You can also use it to easily boot into a certain partition to see if it works before adding it to GRUB.

Jesdisciple
June 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
When I tried to burn SuperGrubDisk to a blank CD-R (via ISORecorder (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm)), I got error 80010105 and Windows (on a different computer) said IMAPI had encountered a fatal error. ???

EDIT: And yet I find files on the CD; is it safe to boot off of that?

Jesdisciple
June 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Well, I left the CD in the other computer while waiting for a reply. When it booted up this morning I found SuperGrubDisk apparently uncorrupted, lol.

Now, what do I do with SGD? I'm exploring the wiki but not recognizing any relevant signposts yet...

Jesdisciple
June 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well, come to find out Windows was gone anyway. I used the second Guided installation option (which appeared after I went back and forth several times) that promised to only take the pieces of the hard disk that weren't already taken. I guess I misunderstood it...

So I reinstalled Ubuntu using the first Guided option and it took the entire hard drive.