PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How do I install an Icon?

Shabakthanai
June 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Hardy 8.04 KDE 3.5.9

I just installed e-Sword, a Bible Program; when I finished,I wanted to put an Icon on the menu bar for quick access. I right clicked and placed the Icon where I wanted, however, it was not the e-Sword icon, it is a gear like for Kubuntu. I downloaded the proper Icon, but have no idea where to install it or how to make it activate the e-Sword program. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Xiong Chiamiov
June 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
The gear icon is the default icon for an executable file (a binary). Right-click your KMenu -> edit menu, then select e-Sword in the list, and click the box on the right side where it shows the gear (I think, I'm not on my machine atm). You should then be able to select an icon of your choice.

Shabakthanai
June 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The gear icon is the default icon for an executable file (a binary). Right-click your KMenu -> edit menu, then select e-Sword in the list, and click the box on the right side where it shows the gear (I think, I'm not on my machine atm). You should then be able to select an icon of your choice.

Thank you! I am older and forgot where I requested the information until now. You are very kind. I just love my e-Sword program.

Shabakthanai
September 3rd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Thank you! I am older and forgot where I requested the information until now. You are very kind. I just love my e-Sword program.

Is this what you meant by clicking on the ribbon? Anyway, I found your instruction and made the change. Thanks! I am old, have no one to help me learn, and many times a provided solution has a step in the middle which I don't understand. It's kind of like your saying ribbon at the bottom. I couldn't see a ribbon, so I tried this. I just got a laptop and am trying to install e-Sword in it. I found an instruction, but like usual, in the middle of the instruction, the helper used a term that I should understand, but don't so all that followed was useless to me. My memory cannot hold information long enough to take me back to the instruction, so I am unable to ask anyone an intelligent question to solve that problem. Not to worry, though I got e-Sword on my desktop after about a year of trying. The laptop is more important for me, because I want to use it in the service of GOD; I hope it doesn't take as long to get it working. Like I said, I am old and time is precious. I noted a little sarcasm in your comment about why I am on the forum. I read it every day grabbing items that help me learn. I get emails every day. Sometimes I am even able to help someone else. Not to often, but sometimes. It is very hard to learn this way, but I don't have anyone to help me; no one I have fellowship with understands Kubuntu Hardy or Linux, so I just keep on keeping on. Your help is such a kindness. You will never probably realize how important for someone like me. Thanks again, friend. Steven Vollom fine-artist retired