PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i find my desktop again ????

sprightlyone
June 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
hi
i have also posted in another category without much luck
today i set about customising my ubuntu install. i uninstalled evolution e-mail client &replaced it with thunderbird everything seemed ok
but alas the system rebooted or something &was stuck on the splash screen when i returned from work
some more info it seems my wife was playiny a game i left open &went on abutton pressing spree afterwards tryiny to get to windows &somehow managed to either minimise or close the desktop
amongst other things
hope i can get my desktop back so i can do some sort of a check to see what other damage she`s done to my system
i rebooted to dual-boot selection screen &noticed 2 of everything except the windows xp sel. line
tried to enter -no luck
go to edit the kernel &add previous fix to enter &load to log-in
log-in ok
the backgroud pops up BLANK what have i done by removing the evolution program ????
any ideas ?????
how do i repair ??????
thanks lyle

Joeb454
June 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
If you can get to a terminal (you can always hit Ctrl+Alt+F1) then you can try running
sudo aptitude reinstall ubuntu-desktop

sprightlyone
June 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
hi
when i log-in all i`ve got is a blank background completely bare
if i right click i can see all my d/top items there just doesn`t seem to be an option to turn the desktop on again
don`t know if this makes sense i will try your suggestion &report
lyle

sprightlyone
June 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
hi

If you can get to a terminal (you can always hit Ctrl+Alt+F1) then you can try running
sudo aptitude reinstall ubuntu-desktop
this repairs my desktop files
but i think i need the save command to complete the process
i very new but i`m getting used to the way ubuntu does things just can`t put command together to do basic things
lyle

Thanoulis
June 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
When you uninstalled Evolution you sure unistalled and the evolution-data-server-common...if you had checked you should be aware that you also unistalled alacarte (menu management application) and gnome-panels (this is the "taskbar").
So, reinstall ubuntu-desktop as said, and when uninstalling evolution, keep the evolution-data-server-common.

What save command???

Joeb454
June 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
this repairs my desktop files
but i think i need the save command to complete the process
i very new but i`m getting used to the way ubuntu does things just can`t put command together to do basic things
lyle

So you have your desktop back now?

sprightlyone
June 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
hi
NO i can watch a reload of the desktop files but it doesn`t seem to save the rebuild of the files
it finishes @a prompt .
the only thing is the dual boot selection screen withthe double entries which one might have the desktop installed
i will check this posssibility 1st then dealwith that next
lyle

sprightlyone
June 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
hi
what i watched didn`t include the desktop iwasn`t in the package for it to reinstall
so i need to approach this fronm a different direction
so how do i repair / reinstall the evolution files i need to make the desktop work??????
thanks lyle

Dougie187
June 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
I would assume you could try going to the termial again (CTRL+ALT+F1) and typing

sudo apt-get install evolution
alternatively, you can install all the other packages Thanoulis mentioned in his post.

sprightlyone
June 3rd, 2008, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=Dougie187;5100365]I would assume you could try going to the termial again (CTRL+ALT+F1) and typing

sudo apt-get install evolution
ok i appear to have reinstalled evolution but i can`t seem to make the reinstall desktop command line work
do i have to make evolution active or how do i check what is loaded &what isn`t ?????
lyle