PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] versions

sweeneytodd
June 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
is there a ubuntu, xbuntu and kubuntu 8.04 hardy heron versions, as i was looking in a proflie section and it asked what version u had,

sdennie
June 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
All three of those versions exist. They are mostly just meta-packages on top of a base system. You can install whichever your choose with:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

or

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

etc...

sweeneytodd
June 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
are they the same ,just i different theme, still the same system though

Paqman
June 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Sort of. It's more than a different theme, it's a whole different desktop envirnoment. That means it'll have a different theme, a different set of default applications and some of the interfaces for configuring things will be different. But under that, yes, it's the same system.

Sef
June 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM

As has been said, the base system is the same. Different applications can be used, but you can add different apps on each one.

sdennie
June 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
It's not that they are the same but with different themes. They are all different ways of accomplishing the same goal: Create a nice user environment. However, a huge amount of the software that each -desktop package uses is common to all desktops. Which desktop you choose is largely a matter of preference. They will all do what you want but, they will do so in different ways.

SunnyRabbiera
June 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM

Same base system but using different desktop environments.
In linux you have three main user interfaces called desktop environments, the desktop environment or DE for short provides you with a complete graphic user interface or GUI to use the functions on your computer.
Unlike in windows or OSX you are not locked down to one DE, in linux you get choice and variety.

sweeneytodd
June 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have to admit, i have fallen in love with linux, i would of said ubuntu b4 but aahhh...,,,yeah lets just say i'm a staunch supporter, i'm wiping my dual boot xp and only going to use,,,well, i'll say ubuntu

i.mehrzad
June 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Even i had second thoughts at first but then later realised that my XP in dual boot is catching rust. Therefore decided to make it a single Ubuntu boot.