PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do i launch an ssh client?

srossnz
June 2nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
i need an ssh client or terminal i went to synaptic to see if i could find one, it says i have them installed already but see no menu item for one. Synaptic really should list how to launch these apps.. it's a bit like "hey you have this app! being a noob we will not tell you how to run it lolz!!" o_O

tomcheng76
June 2nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
open up gnome-terminal (your console)
type

ssh username@yourhost.com
for example
ssh srossnz@192.168.0.18

then enter your password

Rocket2DMn
June 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
SSH is built into linux, you just run

ssh <server>
There are other options like

ssh user@server
ssh <server> -l <user>
See the man pages for more details

man ssh

sdennie
June 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
You should be able to ssh somewhere with:

ssh some_where

When installing a package doesn't give a menu item, the following should tell you what binaries you've installed:

For example:

dpkg -L openssh-client | grep bin/

iansane
June 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
I know how you feel. It would be nice if synaptic developers made sure all of the packages include better documentation but they are from different development branches.

I have putty ssh and remote desktop installed and they are both under Applications>internet. the command for putty is "putty" in terminal.

LOL get this. The command for remote desktop is "vinagre" ???

Why not "remote-desktop"? ...nah that would be crasy and make no sense ;-)

remote desktop is cool though. It looks like MS terminal server if your used to that.

Putty works great for SSH

iansane
June 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
nothing wrong with using one of the ones I named, with a GUI instead of all that terminal typing.

But it's good stuff to learn :-)

My mistake. The remote desktop client is called vinagre in synaptic. I just found it under remote desktop in Add/Remove programs.

still think remote-desktop would be better for a command.:-)