PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need good parental software with remote access……

arthur6547
June 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi everyone, Recently, I was tensed to see my kid visiting the sites that he shouldn’t have. I do know that there are certain parental control software that can act as good watchdogs, but I need a one that can help me to view the things that my kid is doing at home. Its good to have a look at whats going on….if he is really accessing those sites or they are just by chance….!!!

Please do tell me if you have a solution to this…its really getting on my nerves!!!

pytheas22
June 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but Firestarter (www.fs-security.com) would allow you to block sites completely and monitor the sites that he's connecting to. Firestarter isn't designed to be parental control software, however, so maybe someone else can offer a better suggestion. But if no one does, Firestarter should be able to do what you need. I don't think it resolves IP addresses when it shows connections, but you can use the "host" command in a terminal to do that if necessary.

EDIT: also I thought of Ettercap, which again is not designed for what you're trying to do, but it would allow you to easily monitor the connections between your son's machine and the Internet. It can do ARP-cache poisoning so that you can monitor traffic on the local network; in other words, you wouldn't even have to install anything on your son's machine to watch him, and he'd never know you were doing it.

bmac
June 2nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
If your using firefox - their are a number of parental control extensions that might help solve your dilemma...
I don't need parental software anymore so I can't recommend one.

cornelius14
June 5th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I can understand what you must be feeling…its not digestable to see the young ones going nuts on the net…..I suppose that you must tried a few ones to spy on him. But if you need parental software ( http://parentalcontrolguides.com) that can help you to monitor the doings of your kids from office, then I think you would need the one that my friend was using. It was a good one…..and was satisfying too. I hope that it will make your life easier…..lower your worries on the young ones side.

Best of Luck.

lisati
June 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM
It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but Firestarter (www.fs-security.com) would allow you to block sites completely and monitor the sites that he's connecting to. Firestarter isn't designed to be parental control software, however, so maybe someone else can offer a better suggestion. But if no one does, Firestarter should be able to do what you need. I don't think it resolves IP addresses when it shows connections, but you can use the "host" command in a terminal to do that if necessary.

EDIT: also I thought of Ettercap, which again is not designed for what you're trying to do, but it would allow you to easily monitor the connections between your son's machine and the Internet. It can do ARP-cache poisoning so that you can monitor traffic on the local network; in other words, you wouldn't even have to install anything on your son's machine to watch him, and he'd never know you were doing it.

Some routers can be set to block sites based on keywords as well - the one I use can also be set to send you an email when it blocks a site.

hyper_ch
June 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
you could also use OpenDNS and it has some control there with regard to sexually explicit materials...

http://www.opendns.com/features/overview/

If you have a router you could basically set the router to use opendns as dns servers and block it on that level. All machines then using that router will have that blockage (even you).

Dr Small
June 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
you could also use OpenDNS and it has some control there with regard to sexually explicit materials...

http://www.opendns.com/features/overview/

If you have a router you could basically set the router to use opendns as dns servers and block it on that level. All machines then using that router will have that blockage (even you).
Yeah, OpenDNS would probably be the best bet. You can block by categories, which in turn blocks specific domains. I do this for our network anyhow.

rickyjones
June 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, OpenDNS would probably be the best bet. You can block by categories, which in turn blocks specific domains. I do this for our network anyhow.

Another vote for using OpenDNS.

MasterSushi
June 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
OpenDNS is a great solution for filtering websites based on categories. So, here is one more vote for OpenDNS.