PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Studio goes stone cold silent

starbase1
June 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Well, I was terribly happy for a brief time. I got Ubuntu studio installed, (64 bit), and mastered adding software from repositories on DVD, (no net connection under Ubuntu).

I install quite a bit of stuff I have seen recommended, including gstreamer stuff in the hope of playing my MP3's

And sound is now not working at all, not a peep, nothing working, not from any application or file. I double checked for hardware failures by booting into windows, and it all worked fine. So I think something I have done has killed it. And I have no idea what...

The volume is not set to zero, I can't find anything set to 'mute', I found the pulse audio panel, but did not understand a word of it...

I'm a noob at this, so I may well have done something stupid. Is there some equivalent to a control panel that will let me see the actual sound card and its settings?

Please don;t tell me I have to reinstall everything! Can I reset the sound settings in some way without doing that? Persuade it to recheck the hardware or something?

Clues for the clueless very gratefully received!
Thanks, Nick

starbase1
June 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hmmm... Additional clue, I tried starting the sound recorder, and it told me my audio capture settings are invalid, and to correct them in the multimedia settings. Which I also could not find in the help files...