PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] new grub options

Repus
June 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
I do'nt usually watch the grub startup but today I did and found I have 4 new options - two new sets of 8.04 and two new 8.04-recovery options.

I can only imagine this is a result of several crashes I had when I tried to use power management. I have since stopped because it was a 50-50 shot that the computer would actual recover from a slumber.

So my question now is what do I do with these extra grub menu options? Not knowing about them didn't seem to hurt the computer so I'm a little confused.

overdrank
June 1st, 2008, 03:25 AM
I do'nt usually watch the grub startup but today I did and found I have 4 new options - two new sets of 8.04 and two new 8.04-recovery options.

I can only imagine this is a result of several crashes I had when I tried to use power management. I have since stopped because it was a 50-50 shot that the computer would actual recover from a slumber.

So my question now is what do I do with these extra grub menu options? Not knowing about them didn't seem to hurt the computer so I'm a little confused.

HI and you have the additional opitions due to the kernel update. You can comment them out if you edit your grub menu.
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
But I would suggest leaving the recovery and one old kernel in case of errors.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

Rocket2DMn
June 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
I agree with overdrank, I would just leave them. The newest kernel will be the default option, but it is beneficial to have other kernels to boot into in case something fails with one of them.

Repus
June 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Thank you both

meierfra.
June 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I suggest to change "howmany=all" in menu.lst to "howmany=2". Otherwise you will have three kernels on the Grub menu after the next kernel update, and I just don't see why one would need more than two.