PDA

View Full Version : is it true?

chucky chuckaluck
May 31st, 2008, 03:41 AM
i cannot, for the life of you, remember where i heard this, but i heard that arch users poo-poo on jwm. is this so?

"revere, bring my horse..."

Dr Small
May 31st, 2008, 04:31 AM
Ah, switching to jwm? ;)

Bubba64
May 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM
I always order the virtual pu pu platter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu_pu_platter

Barrucadu
May 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm sure I saw a thread on the Arch forums where someone called jwm the dark side...

Rumor
May 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM
i cannot, for the life of you, remember where i heard this, but i heard that arch users poo-poo on jwm. is this so?

I don't think there is a real consensus among Arch users on much of anything. Over the last many months in the screenshots threads, there have been shots representing just about every window manager / desktop environment you can think of. I think Arch users tend to be more of a "Can I make this work?" mentality than anything else. As a rule, Arch is for tweakers, which could be why you fit in so well with the rest of us.

Joeb454
May 31st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Why does it matter - if you like it and want to use it, then use it :)

chucky chuckaluck
May 31st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Why does it matter - if you like it and want to use it, then use it :)

it doesn't matter. if it's true, i'm just puzzled by it. that's it.

smartboyathome
May 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM
I think JWM's default theme is a little on the Win95 side, but it is still one of the better WMs in my opinion.

MisfitI38
June 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM

"revere, bring my horse..."

Yes, it's true.

Long live our beloved OpenBox!! :)

chucky chuckaluck
June 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yes, it's true.

haha! why?

Long live our beloved OpenBox!! :)

i lost faith on openbox when it became a DEwannabee.

MisfitI38
June 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
haha! why?
Honestly, I've never even heard of this JWM you speak of.

i lost faith on openbox when it became a DEwannabee.

Shame on you. A DE wannabe? I cannot even conceive of an obscure, subjective, opinionated argument to support such a nonsensical and inaccurate blasphemy.
Installing OpenBox and running it results in an X session, sporting nothing more than a mouse pointer. How can that even remotely be considered a DE wannabe?
For shame, for shame. 'A ruin, a ruin, a ruin I shall make it..'

chucky chuckaluck
June 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Honestly, I've never even heard of this JWM you speak of.

http://www.poster.net/simpsons-the/simpsons-the-doh-4900579.jpg

RedSquirrel
June 1st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Installing OpenBox and running it results in an X session, sporting nothing more than a mouse pointer. How can that even remotely be considered a DE wannabe?

It now asks you, "Are you sure you want to exit?". One could suffer death by confirmation boxes. Openbox has turned to the dark side. :evil:

(I know it's only one line in rc.xml to get rid of that silly dialog, but still...)

chucky chuckaluck
June 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
there's also nitrogen and obconf starting to look like xfce's settings board. the new menu pushed me over the edge. that was the end for me. besides, aside from my occasional jwm fixes, i've pretty much become a tiling wm fascist.

cardinals_fan
June 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
there's also nitrogen and obconf starting to look like xfce's settings board. the new menu pushed me over the edge. that was the end for me. besides, aside from my occasional jwm fixes, i've pretty much become a tiling wm fascist.
dwm is too good :)

jrusso2
June 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM
Anything thats too Windows like is looked down upon. And JWM looks like Windows 95

smartboyathome
June 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
As you can tell from this thread and others, Arch users are scattered on this subject. That is why they should all switch to E17. :twisted:

chucky chuckaluck
June 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
That is why they should all switch to E17. :twisted:

beautiful face, kinda psychotic, though.

handy
June 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Chucky I reckon you like JWM due to your love of ME!

That's MS's ME, not me. :lolflag:

chucky chuckaluck
June 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Chucky I reckon you like JWM due to your love of ME!

That's MS's ME, not me. :lolflag:

c'mon now, i like you too, handy.

jwm, kde and icewm have never reminded me of windows anything. i guess i see more resemblance between chocolate and dog mess.

MisfitI38
June 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I think I see where you are going with this. You are talking about:

yaourt -S openbox obconf obmenu menumaker nitrogen
I am talking about:

pacman -S openbox feh gmrun tilda
Subtle yet huge apples to apples.

urukrama
June 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM

I once installed Openbox on a clean install, and then couldn't do anything with it as I had none of the applications that appeared in the (old) menu installed (xterm, firefox, etc.). :D Luckily there are tty consoles...

I never use Nitrogen.

chucky chuckaluck
June 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
when i first tried openbox, i thought it was broken as all there was of it was a blank screen. fun times.

chucky chuckaluck
June 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
ok, so i decided to give openbox another shot. what's up with that menu? it has a bunch of catagories i don't want and they're filled with listing of apps i have never and will never use. that's a big step in the wrong direction, imltho. and also, they're now including the lxde rc.xml file in the openbox directory. so, i guess that just makes openbox a DE's wm wannabee and not an actuall DE wannabee. i'm disappointed.

handy
June 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
ok, so i decided to give openbox another shot. what's up with that menu? it has a bunch of catagories i don't want and they're filled with listing of apps i have never and will never use. that's a big step in the wrong direction, imltho. and also, they're now including the lxde rc.xml file in the openbox directory. so, i guess that just makes openbox a DE's wm wannabee and not an actuall DE wannabee. i'm disappointed.

I think they just stuck the useless menu in there so as to show it & to give the new user a place to start configuring from. The Openbox site calls it a useless menu too.

urukrama
June 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
ok, so i decided to give openbox another shot. what's up with that menu? it has a bunch of catagories i don't want and they're filled with listing of apps i have never and will never use.

You never edit your menus?

EDIT: Interesting how this discussion went from jwm to openbox ;-)

chucky chuckaluck
June 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think they just stuck the useless menu in there so as to show it & to give the new user a place to start configuring from. The Openbox site calls it a useless menu too.

You never edit your menus?

i edit them everywhere, but i don't know xml, so when something goes wrong, i'm at a loss as how to fix it. the pekwm menu is equally useless, but it's garbage easily removed. i'm glad to hear they realize it's useless. if only they'd just put the old useless one back.

EDIT: Interesting how this discussion went from jwm to openbox ;-)

there's no such thing as ot in one of my threads. i change subject as often as i change wallpaper (if only i could find a second pair of underwear i liked).

urukrama
June 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
i edit them everywhere, but i don't know xml, so when something goes wrong, i'm at a loss as how to fix it.

Luckily there is Obmenu, and Openbox 3.4.7 warns you when you have errors in your rc.xml or menu.xml files.

You could also use an xml validator (http://www.validome.org/xml/validate/) to check for errors (just tick "Well-Formedness only" before you do so). It will tell you exactly what the error is in your file.

Barrucadu
June 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
XML is fairly easy to learn, you could master it in an hour or so.

chucky chuckaluck
June 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
that was still annoying, but apparently, the hissy fit is over.

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0307/hissyfit.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0307/hissyfit.jpg)

-----------

edit: the depth of my idiocy continues to unravel - i used to copy the /etc/xdg/openbox file to my home folder whenever i would open obmenu for the first time and get a "menu.xml" doesn't exist" message. if i weren't such a dup-dup, it might have occurred to me to just create an empty menu.xml file. i am a moran.

K.Mandla
June 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM
What be this "tuna" one does see in your menu? Tunapie?

cardinals_fan
June 4th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Sorry to derail this already-derailed thread, but am I the only one who sets their wallpaper with xsri?

chucky chuckaluck
June 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM
What be this "tuna" one does see in your menu? Tunapie?

i hate the name 'thunar', so i just call it 'tuna'.

Sorry to derail this already-derailed thread, but am I the only one who sets their wallpaper with xsri?

you can't derail a train that started in the middle of the woods.

never heard of xsri. hit us with the goods.

MisfitI38
June 4th, 2008, 02:43 AM
am I the only one who sets their wallpaper with xsri?

Yes, apparently.
I use feh.

cardinals_fan
June 4th, 2008, 03:04 AM
http://linux.die.net/man/1/xsri

"Allows the display of text, patterns, and images in the root window, so users can customize the XDM-style login screen and/or the normal X background."

It's a command-line only tool that has plenty of options.

I never got the hang of Feh.

chucky chuckaluck
June 4th, 2008, 03:48 AM
i think i've used feh and gimp the whole time i've used linux (except for those first couple of months of not knowing better than gnome). i love it. i use it for slide shows, backgrounds, searching my huge wallpaper directory (translation: sifting through all that **** to find one good one). great tool.

handy
June 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0307/hissyfit.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0307/hissyfit.jpg)

-----------

Chucky, is that the driving range for your 6 iron shots at the cows?

chucky chuckaluck
June 4th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Chucky, is that the driving range for your 6 iron shots at the cows?

i don't know where i got that, maybe interfacelift (it was originally in color). that looks like florida and five or six three woods, to me.

Barrucadu
June 4th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I'm also a feh user - never heard of xsri.

My favourite feh feature is the ~/.fehbg file, I use it to restore my previously used wallpaper at login.

urukrama
June 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
http://linux.die.net/man/1/xsri

"Allows the display of text, patterns, and images in the root window, so users can customize the XDM-style login screen and/or the normal X background."

It's a command-line only tool that has plenty of options.

I never got the hang of Feh.

Sounds a bit like hsetroot (and habak).

I generally use Feh. In combination with a custom action in Thunar to set the wallpaper with Feh, Feh is one of the post convenient tools to use. Occasionally I use hsetroot (the 'tint' feature is often handy).

RedSquirrel
June 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
i don't know where i got that, maybe interfacelift (it was originally in color).

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details.php?id=1335

I used that image last summer. ;)

These days, I mostly use a solid colour. Right now, it's:

xsetroot -solid '#4a5e7d'

handy
June 4th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I installed feh, but still run a black screen, I'm not sure why, maybe it's just for self Xpression?

chucky chuckaluck
June 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I installed feh, but still run a black screen, I'm not sure why, maybe it's just for self Xpression?

which wm are you using?

handy
June 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM
which wm are you using?

I'm using Openbox.

It is minimalist enough for me.

I even have pypanel running with a conky date & time set in the top right hand corner. Only because for some strange reason the pypanel clock keeps on overwriting its characters?

I also run docker, which is rarely ever used due to pypanel, I guess I should remove it sometime.

chucky chuckaluck
June 5th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I'm using Openbox.

It is minimalist enough for me.

I even have pypanel running with a conky date & time set in the top right hand corner. Only because for some strange reason the pypanel clock keeps on overwriting its characters?

I also run docker, which is rarely ever used due to pypanel, I guess I should remove it sometime.

i'm using openbox and pypanel now (i just purged everything else). so, are you saying that feh is coming up blank, or you're just not using a wallpaper? (wasn't sure i read you correctly.)

handy
June 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM
i'm using openbox and pypanel now (i just purged everything else). so, are you saying that feh is coming up blank, or you're just not using a wallpaper? (wasn't sure i read you correctly.)

I installed feh, but at this stage I'm happy to just have a black screen behind whatever I'm running on top of it.

Really, I hardly ever see the desktop apart from start up & shutdown, I don't need something pretty hiding behind what I am using.

chucky chuckaluck
June 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I installed feh, but at this stage I'm happy to just have a black screen behind whatever I'm running on top of it.

Really, I hardly ever see the desktop apart from start up & shutdown, I don't need something pretty hiding behind what I am using.

i get it. when i was using tiling wm's all the time, it got to be pointless to have a wallpaper, except for the incidental colors the might sneak through the cracks.