PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wine and Anti-viruses

FFighter
May 30th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hello,

It has been almost two years already since I started using Ubuntu. Never really looked into a/v for Linux as I never felt it was necessary.

The folks at winehq have done an amazing job with the latest wine versions (and wine in general, which is really a great project).

So great, that I can now run Photoshop CS2 and Flash 8 natively without any major quirks! Cooool!

But with Windows, comes its treats. I wonder if we will need to start using anti-virus if Wine and Windows applications start to be part of our native toolsets?

damis648
May 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
As good as wine is, I do not believe that it will become a major tool for most users, as most people here do not even have windows programs that they need to use... am i right?

FFighter
May 30th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I respectfully disagree.

Windows has lots, lots of good applications that other OSes simply don't have.

I think wine is a key player in making the switch from Windows to GNU/Linux less painful. The switch is painful yes, because you have to break many (bad?) paradigms and learn new ones until you feel comfortable with the new concepts.

And of course, above all, computers are about getting things done, and as flash programmer, I do need the Flash IDE and Photoshop. I need to either run it in a VM or through wine (at least until Adobe releases native Linux versions), and I prefer running via wine, as it is less bloat (Windows) and usually faster.

I think wine is great and many, many people using GNU/Linux rely on it daily.

Aside from that, what I'm really asking is about the security aspects of it as I originally asked in this thread.

Bakon Jarser
May 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
I remember reading an article or blog or something where a guy tried to install windows viruses in wine and couldn't get any of them to infect his system. The worst case was one of them ate up all his cpu time running an infinite loop. I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully installed a virus with wine.

lisati
May 31st, 2008, 12:37 AM
As good as wine is, I do not believe that it will become a major tool for most users, as most people here do not even have windows programs that they need to use... am i right?

I do occasional video work for other people, and the editing software of choice (which I spent megabucks on) is Windows software, which I usually use on my Windows-only machine which has a bit more processing oomph (slightly faster processr), more memory, and a bigger hard drive. None of the Linux software I've looked at, as good as it is, has quite the same set of bells-and-whistles that I find useful.

EDIT: as for Anti-virus and other protective schemes, this is a recurring theme in these forums. It's up to you to decide for yourself. Although the risk of a virus doing damage ton the Linux portion of your setup is negligble, there are other considerations like good manners (e.g. don't pass on nasty stuff), data theft, and other nasty stuff that depends on how you've got things set up.