PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to view windows xp files in ubuntu

noobman2
May 30th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Hi all, im wondering how to view my files from windows xp pro in ubuntu. Could someone please help me out? Thanks :)

unutbu
May 30th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Please post the output to

sudo fdisk -l

This will show the partitions on your hard drive(s).
One of those partitions contains your WinXP filesystem. With the info provided by fdisk, we should be able to mount the WinXP filesystem, allowing you to view those files.

snakebitezz
August 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM
ok this would be easier but i installed linux from inside of windows with the 8.1 live cd so it is on the same drive.... ie the /dev/sda3 soo yeah any suggestions would be great

3rdalbum
August 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
ok this would be easier but i installed linux from inside of windows with the 8.1 live cd so it is on the same drive.... ie the /dev/sda3 soo yeah any suggestions would be great

If you used the "Install Inside Windows" option, then the rest of your hard disk is available in /host.

Go to Places > Computer, double-click Filesystem, and it's under "host".

If you had installed Ubuntu as a proper dual-boot system on a different partition, then it would be a different story.

Luca_turicci
August 26th, 2009, 10:18 AM
o_o when I installed Intrepid some time ago my Windows partition was there at "Places" on the menu, only clicked it and it mounted... and when i installed jaunty and karmic it was the same.

mapes12
August 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi all, im wondering how to view my files from windows xp pro in ubuntu. Could someone please help me out? Thanks :)
How have you got this configured? Ubu inside ******* via wubi, dual boot alongside ******* or separate Ubu and ******* boxes?

3rdalbum
August 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
How have you got this configured? Ubu inside ******* via wubi, dual boot alongside ******* or separate Ubu and ******* boxes?

I don't think the original poster is going to answer - they probably got it working in 2008. I was responding to the poster who bumped the thread.