PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Did Skype break my wireless? How to fix it?

Halsnalle
May 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I don't know if Skype is really to blame, but my wireless connection stopped working altogether after I installed Skype. The menu item simply does not list any wireless networks and in Network Manager, there are only settings for ethernet and dialup connections. It's like before I installed madwifi.

So I'd guess the solution is simply to reinstall madwifi. But since I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, I wonder how I can check if that is really the problem. Say, how do I check whether madwifi somehow got thrown out by Skype, or if madwifi is installed at all?

cyberdork33
May 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I don't know if Skype is really to blame, but my wireless connection stopped working altogether after I installed Skype. The menu item simply does not list any wireless networks and in Network Manager, there are only settings for ethernet and dialup connections. It's like before I installed madwifi.

So I'd guess the solution is simply to reinstall madwifi. But since I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, I wonder how I can check if that is really the problem. Say, how do I check whether madwifi somehow got thrown out by Skype, or if madwifi is installed at all?There was a kernel update recently, this would break a custom compile of madwifi. You simply have to install it again.