PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need help with mencoder and audio

jakev383
May 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have a bunch of VOB files that I ripped from a DVD to my HD of old TV shows. I want to recode them to take up less disk space, and have successfully done so using this command:

nice -n 19 mencoder Episode\ 6\ -\ Past\ Sim.vob -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -xvidencopts bitrate=2000 -o xvid-2000.avi

The problem is that it gives me the Spanish audio track instead of the English one. When I just watch the VOB file I get the audio in English, but if I recode it I get the audio in Spanish.
Can someone tell me where I went wrong? I like the size compression - a 2G file is reduced to 680M and the quality stays as well.
Thanks in advance!

recrispi
May 30th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm not sure, but maybe using the "-aid #" option, where # is the number of the audio track.
I hope that helps.

andrew.46
May 30th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Hi:

The problem is that it gives me the Spanish audio track instead of the English one. When I just watch the VOB file I get the audio in English, but if I recode it I get the audio in Spanish.

You could try adding

-alang en

to your encoding string. BTW you might be able to drop your bitrate a little and not notice any degradation of the image.

Andrew.

disturbedite
May 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM
i recommend ogg theora for video & ogg for audio. there are programs to do specifically this in the repo.

jakev383
May 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hi:

You could try adding

-alang en

to your encoding string. BTW you might be able to drop your bitrate a little and not notice any degradation of the image.

Andrew.

Thanks, but the one didn't work.
I had the bitrate at 1000 and it didn't look that hot to me. I just jumped to 2000 instead of trying something like 1500 because I was impatient. Once I get the audio thing worked out I'll play with the bitrates some. I'm trying the "-aid 1" method now. Wish me luck!

jakev383
May 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
This ended up working for me:

nice -n 19 mencoder Episode\ 6\ -\ Past\ Sim.vob -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -aid 128 -xvidencopts bitrate=2000 -o xvid-2000.avi

Thanks!