PDA

View Full Version : Script for WoW

Mauler5858
May 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I am extremely new to scripts, and i need to know how to create one to fit my need.

I need to be able to write a script to:

disable compiz fusion
launch world of warcraft
upon closing re-enable compiz if possible

Many thanks in advance.

Zorael
May 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
#!/bin/bash

metacity --replace &
wine <path to wow executable> # or similar Cedega command, depending on what you use
compiz <any extra compiz arguments you use> --replace &

Extra compiz arguments would include --ignore-desktop-hints for KDE users, --loose-bindings if nvidia videocard, --indirect-rendering if Intel/similar cards, etc.

Mind the ampersands (&); you want them after the metacity and compiz lines, but not after the wine line.

If you use fusion-icon, make it this instead.

#!/bin/bash

killall fusion-icon
metacity --replace &
wine <path to wow executable> # or similar Cedega command, depending on what you use
fusion-icon &

Mauler5858
May 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
So in my case it would be:

#!/bin/bash

metacity --replace &
wine /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/launcher.exe

For the extra compiz arguements part. Can you elaborate on that. All i know about compiz is the options i set at the gui.

Zorael
May 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
You may want to encase the wow.exe path between quotes to make sure it handles the spaces correctly.

As for the compiz arguments, you usually needn't worry. If you're running KDE, be sure to add --ignore-desktop-hints to avoid getting 16x16 desktops when you only want 4x1 for a cube. If you're using Nvidia, you can add --loose-binding to get better performance but chance of tearing. If you're using an Intel integrated chipset (and perhaps of other similar makes), I think you should add --indirect-rendering to get proper performance.

On my Nvidia laptop, I used the following command until I started using fusion-icon and let it do it for me.

$ compiz --ignore-desktop-hints --loose-binding --replace &

The only really necessary argument is --replace (and the ampersand). The others are optional.

Mauler5858
May 29th, 2008, 06:54 PM
$ compiz --loose-binding --replace &

Looks like it will be the way to go for me. I have an Nvidia card, and i am using Gnome. I will try it when i get home from work tonight.

Sammi
May 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
#!/bin/bash

metacity --replace &
wine /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/launcher.exe

Use this:

wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\launcher.exe"Instead of this:

wine /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/launcher.exeAs it makes Wine set the working directory correctly.

Mauler5858
May 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I made my script file with the following:

#!/bin/bash

metacity --replace &
wine wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\launcher.exe"
compiz --loose-binding --replace &

Made it executable with:

chmod 0755 <scriptname>

And when i executed it, the screen flashed a second and nothing happened. I checked and compiz wasnt disabled. Anything i am missing?

Zorael
May 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I made my script file with the following:

#!/bin/bash

metacity --replace &
wine wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\launcher.exe"
compiz --loose-binding --replace &

One wine too many. :>

wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\launcher.exe"
The path (C:\Program Files, etc) needs to be the same as the path in wine's C: drive. For instance, I sure didn't install it there (though I imagine it may be the default location), opting for "C:\Games\WoW" instead.

Run 'wine explorer' to explore that C: drive. (Make sure to choose C: there up top.)

Mauler5858
May 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
ah i see that now with the double wines lol. And the path is correct. I allowed it to 100% mimic the windows directory structure. Thanks