PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help With Wirless Networking

JoeJ
May 29th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi, I'm very new here so sorry If I'm doing something wrong.

I recently used the Wubi installer to install 8.04 on my notebook from Vista. I can't seem to connect to my wireless home network, I can connect with a cable with no problems though. When I click on the network connections button in the tool bar, It doesn't display any networks, (other than the wired one). When I boot to disk with 7.10 on an other laptop of mine, it detects the networks just fine, but when I tried booting to disk with 8.04 (on my other laptop), it won't detect any other networks. So I think It might be a problem with 8.04. I already tried the troubleshooting that came with Ubuntu, but it didn't help much.

Sorry if the information I gave doesn't help much, but I don't know a lot about networking (or linix, for that matter). Can anyone help me or will I just have to stick with Vista?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Bartender
May 29th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Joe -
In Vista, go to Device Manager, then post back with the exact description that Vista gives to the wireless network adapter.

JoeJ
May 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Under Network Adapters It shows two items:

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

and

Dell wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Thanks,
Joe

JoeJ
May 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Actually, after installing a few updates Ubuntu said that 'Broadcom B43 wireless driver' needed to be installed, so I did so and now Wireless works.

Thanks for actually responding to my post and trying to help me.

Thanks,
Joe