PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dead Man's Switch

bcamp929
May 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I am running Ubuntu Desktop 8.04, and I have been looking for days for some sort of "dead man's switch" software for Ubuntu. I have noticed that there are similar programs for Windows. Basically I am trying to protect personal data. I would like to have a script run on, say, the 3rd invalid password that will erase an encrypted disk, or change the password and send it to an email, etc....

Does anyone know of any scripts or programs for Ubuntu that can do this for me?

PLEASE HELP!!!

BC

Dr Small
May 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
It might be possible with some PAM configuration, but I am not that knowledgeable on that subject, so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else know's more about it.

Dr Small

bcamp929
May 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thank you Dr. Small. This does not look like the right solution for me. Does anyone have any more suggestions???

Monicker
May 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I would also look at swatch. It can monitor log files and execute scripts based on patterns found in them.

bcamp929
May 30th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Thank you so much! I think this is gonna do it, just need to figure out how to configure it now. Thanks again.

brian_p
May 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Thank you so much! I think this is gonna do it, just need to figure out how to configure it now. Thanks again.

In cased swatch doesn't fit your needs there is sec (Simple Event Correlator) to bear in mind.