PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] video driver help for mbp

excalibur313
May 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have a macbook pro rev A with a ati video card (128mb). I'm running into issues where rendered graphics are kind of glitchy and parts of 3d graphs blink on and off while it is running. I was using the ati drivers from the ubuntu macbook pro wiki and I most recently tried envyng and ran into the same issues. I originally thought that it was a wine issue since I got it when trying to run gta3 or gta san andreas, but I noticed that it also did it with the screen savers that ubuntu has built in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cyberdork33
May 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I have a macbook pro rev A with a ati video card (128mb). I'm running into issues where rendered graphics are kind of glitchy and parts of 3d graphs blink on and off while it is running. I was using the ati drivers from the ubuntu macbook pro wiki and I most recently tried envyng and ran into the same issues. I originally thought that it was a wine issue since I got it when trying to run gta3 or gta san andreas, but I noticed that it also did it with the screen savers that ubuntu has built in. Does anyone have any suggestions?
turn off desktop effects. Apps using 3D + ATI + Compiz = Ugly.

excalibur313
May 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! To be clear, is this visual effects in the appearance preferences pane I should turn off or something else?

cyberdork33
May 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! To be clear, is this visual effects in the appearance preferences pane I should turn off or something else?yep that is what I am talking about. that turns compiz on or off. If that doesn't improve things, then I don't know what it might be.

excalibur313
May 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
That worked! Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help!