PDA

View Full Version : Installing software: internet connection essential?

Lisa_T
October 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
I've just put Breezy Badger onto my Thinkpad x20 alongside Win 98SE. Despite warnings that the X20 wasn't well specced enough, Ubuntu runs beautifully and I'm thriilled to be able to just plug in a USB flash drive and have it work without messing around with drivers.

However, I can't connect to the internet using that laptop- which is fair enough as it's a second hand machine and not intended for surfing- so I'd like to be able to download software from my XP machine onto a flash drive and install from there. However, I can't figure out how to add it as a repository, or even if it's possible! On another note, I haven't been able to download software from Linux magazine CDs either, even using 'Add CD'- I just get messages about no debian files being present.

...and then I haven't a notion of how to actually install the thing! How do I get synaptic to recognise any package as a package? Is a folder a package, or is there a specific file extension? I know there's nothing like 'setup' or '.exe' but this is the second Linux distro I've tried, and installing new software is a recurrent hurdle for me. Please help!

aysiu
October 23rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
You may find this helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20217