PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network cannot see files on windows box

raymondvillain
May 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Running Hardy on desktop. Laptop still has Vista. From Ubuntu on desktop if I click on the "Network" icon I can see the windows machine but I cannot see any of the many shared files it has (that I could see before I converted the desktop to dual boot).

What should the network settings be?

I have already mapped the Ubuntu sharing folder as a drive to my windows machine and I can read and write to it from the windows machine without problems. Just need to be able to see the shared files on the windows machine from within Ubuntu.

Thanks

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Do you have samba installed?

sudo apt-get install samba
This would display and access all machines within the Windows Network.

raymondvillain
May 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Yes! Samba installed yesterday. Before Samba, there was no network (but I could connect to the internet).

I set up the smb.conf file by using the "How To" posted on these forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

Otherwise I wouldn't be this far along.

KingTermite
May 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I'm pretty sure LinuxIsInnovation is correct. I've always heard you must have Samba installed to see files with a windows computer over the network.

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yes! Samba installed yesterday. Before Samba, there was no network (but I could connect to the internet).

I set up the smb.conf file by using the "How To" posted on these forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

Otherwise I wouldn't be this far along.

Do you have Firestarter or an equivalent firewall running?

raymondvillain
May 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't think so. How would I find out? I installed "firesort" for sorting Mozilla bookmarks.

Are the firewall settings on the "System" tab on the top panel?

Thanks

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 10:43 PM
No, I mean any gnome firewall configuration? Seems like something is blocking your inbound/outbound traffic.