PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does alternate CD upgrade maintain my previous settings?

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and wanna shift to 8.04.

But, Does alternate CD upgrade maintain my previous settings?

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Usually any type of upgrade will preserve your settings, though personally I would recommend doing a backup anyway just in case :)

Majorix
May 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
A fresh install asks if you want to keep the previous account during the installation process, but I have never used it so I don't know if it would keep your /home folder. Please wait for someone to confirm if it works.

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think that's actually for Users installing over a Windows install ;)

tramir
May 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
The best thing would be to have a separate partition for /home. You can still do it, even if you already installed Ubuntu. Use the GPartEd LiveCD to create the partition, copy everything from /home into that new partition (don't forget the hidden files), and then when using the installer, just choose that partition to be mounted as /home. And you keep everything. See also this tutorial (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome).

Majorix
May 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I think that's actually for Users installing over a Windows install ;)

Oh, please ignore me then :)

mister_pink
May 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Nope, there is a home preservation thing. But can't you also use the alternate CD to do just an upgrade rather than a reinstall? That will certainly keep your settings.

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Nope, there is a home preservation thing. But can't you also use the alternate CD to do just an upgrade rather than a reinstall? That will certainly keep your settings.

This is what I suggested :) Though personally - after I had an issue with an upgrade, I backup before upgrading