PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pidgin Crash :(

damonjablons
May 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hey,

I've posted this on the forum, under the Desktop section, but unfortunately it didn't get any attention, nor did the bug report I filed.

My problem is:

Whenever I open Pidgin, the program starts and connects to my networks, then loads all of my buddies. Promptly after that, it crashes and I have to "Force Quit" the application.

Please help, thank you.

cheesypoof
May 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
You might want to disable all of your accounts in Pidgin first, so that they do not automatically login. Then you can login 1 by 1 and see which might be causing problems. If after all of this you still can't find a solution, download a different messenger program.

natman
May 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Ya i know exactly what you mean, i have a feeling its got to do with the desktop, you using compiz/gnome KDE effects KDE4? also have you extra plugins on pidgin working?
My advice if you have the plugings

cd /home/user/
mv ./.purple ./backup_purple
That will just rmove your pidgin profiles and puts them in a backup ( so you can still use them at another time. Then try using pidgin again see if it works afresh then add things back in piece by piece.
Hope that helps:)

damonjablons
May 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
If Pidgin automatically starts up and crashes with my AIM account auto logging in (my only account), how do I disable it without having the program open and crash!?

damonjablons
May 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Ya i know exactly what you mean, i have a feeling its got to do with the desktop, you using compiz/gnome KDE effects KDE4? also have you extra plugins on pidgin working?
My advice if you have the plugings

cd /home/user/
mv ./.purple ./backup_purple
That will just rmove your pidgin profiles and puts them in a backup ( so you can still use them at another time. Then try using pidgin again see if it works afresh then add things back in piece by piece.
Hope that helps:)

This worked perfectly, thank you for the help!