PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do laptop users like the glossy screen?

swarup
May 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I am looking at purchasing a laptop as my next Ubuntu box. I've been using the same laptop for the last 10 years, and it has a matte screen. Which I like and have never had any problem with-- but I've been to Bestbuy to check out how the new laptops are and I must say, these glossy screens are eye-catching.

Looking around the web, people seem to have love-hate relationships with them. Some say they are the greatest thing on earth and much clearer than the matte screen; and others say they (glossy screens) are irritating to the eye, full of reflections, and give one a headache. From what I can tell, gamers tend to prefer the glossy screens. And business people seem to prefer the matte screens.

Matte screen users seem to often look down their noses at the glossy screens, saying they are just used by companies because they look great on the storeshelf, and are just to attract customers for a quick-sell. --Useless and even disturbing, matte users say, for the serious computer user who is going to be on the keyboard for many hours a day.

I do virtually all word-processing, spending 9-11 hours per day on the computer. Mostly word-processing, but also a fair bit of web browsing. And no gaming.

I note that most laptop screens being sold these days are of the glossy type, and would like to know how users of these glossy screens find them to be. Particularly for non-gaming applications: word-processing, data bases, spreadsheets, and also web browsing.

I'd be quite willing to try my hand at a glossy screen--after all they do look quite shiny and beautiful with vibrant colors and clear images--but of course once a laptop is purchased it really can't be returned. Is that immediate eye-catching beauty which people like, worth what others describe as the risk of eye irritation and even headache with prolonged use?

civillian
May 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I personally prefer the matte screens, since there is less chance of glare if you are using a laptop near a source of light, but it's all down to preference. I think that for your uses a matte screen would be best.

But I can point you here http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=38&page=9

where they say that

Glossy finish screens have a reflective coating (not to be confused with a transreflective screen) applied to provide richer colors and bolder contrasts. It also helps with the eye’s ability to detect the ghosting effect often found in matte LCD screens, but the downside is that often that glossy screens provide too much reflection reflect their surroundings onto the screen like a mirror would – which could lead to eyestrain and is sometimes annoying.

which explains why gamers like the glossy screens, and more serious long haul workers like yourself would probably be better suited to a matte screen.

overdrank
May 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
HI and My acer has the screen you speak of "glossy" it is hard to see outdoors in direct sunlight and if you have a light behind you like watching movies it can be a nuisances. But I am happy with my acer laptop. :)

KingTermite
May 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I had to get my first laptop in about 5 years a few months ago and ran into that "new" decision too. I never remember having a choice before.

It didn't take me long to decide a matte screen was what I wanted though. I HATE glare on the monitor and the glossy screens seemed to be more prone to glare from stray light.

robalcorn
May 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
HI and My acer has the screen you speak of "glossy" it is hard to see outdoors in direct sunlight and if you have a light behind you like watching movies it can be a nuisances. But I am happy with my acer laptop. :)

Same here with my acer it's great if there is no light

bousozoku
May 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I don't have any glossy displays and, as long as there is choice, I won't.

I was drawn to the displays in the store and then, I tilted the display a bit and it was very, very annoying. I have my doubts about people getting headaches but everyone has their own quirks and people used to use anti-glare filters because they were getting headaches trying to see through the reflections.

Most people who just want to watch movies, surf the web, and work with e-mails probably will find glossy more appealing.

Talon2
May 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Some folks may like the glossy screens, but I'm not one of them.

The glossy screens look cool but I cannot live with the glare and reflections. They are simply non-functional for me. I wouldn't have another if you gave it to me.

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The question you have asked can never have a fixed answer. If you check the general HP trend, the dv series has a glassy screen while the nx series has a matte one. The glossy screens for HP laptops are whiter and brighter but the same white color is a little dull and yellowish for the nx series laptops. My 53-inch LCD TV has a matte screen, probably to reduce any stray reflections. It completely depends on your working conditions on what you choose.

swarup
May 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Just to put a little more info about the setting where I use it: I am always indoors. Don't think it will ever be used outside. There are a lot of windows in the room where I work, but it is in a forest and the windows which face my computer will never shine sunlight directly on the screen. I do have one flourescent (two tube lights) mounted on the ceiling directly above where I work. That does give direct light. But at least as far as I can tell with this matte screen, the angle at which the light hits the screen is not such as to create any reflection. If I lean the screen a fair bit further back so it faces more up to the light, then I do get that type of soft reflection which a matte screen produces. And I guess that at the same angle, a glossy would produce a much sharper reflection or glare. But that is not the angle at which I keep my screen, which leads me to think that the tube lights would probably not create a reflection disturbance for me even with the flourescent light above me.

In sum, from what I can tell by looking at the room's lighting and by looking at the play of light now on my matte screen, there really isn't much of any reflection issue.

So I guess what I'm getting at is the following: in a room where reflection isn't an issue, i.e. taking that factor out of the equation, THEN which is preferable for most people with my usage pattern (long hours, mostly word processing, good amount of web browsing)-- matte, or glossy.

Matte is a safe bet, a known quantity-- I've been using it for ten years. But in an atmosphere without reflection issues, does a glossy screen present an opportunity for a more "live", more pleasant experience? (Or ... is it really more just a superficial attraction created by capitalists who are looking to sell computers?)

Weidbrewer
May 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm gonna throw my vote in on the "no gloss" bandwagon. I had to fix someone's Unbuntu laptop here in the office the other day, and it had a gloss screen. Like you, I had assumed that the window light was indirect enough not to be a problem. I was wrong.

I'll stick to my matte screen, thank you very much.

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
A glossy screen is often made to have a bright backlight because of it's reflecting drawbacks. This extra brightness may have negative impacts on:
1) The laptop's battery backup
2) You eyes ;)

Stick to matte.. :)

z0mbie
May 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I used both gloss/matte. I'm never buying a matte display again.

jbrice
May 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have recently started using a "Microsoft-free" Dell 1525 with a glossy screen, and before this I would never have considered getting a glossy screen laptop. However after a couple of weeks of use in a number of situations I'm pleasantly surprised how the refections seem to disappear when the screen in on - even at lowish brightness levels.

J.B.

swarup
May 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I have recently started using a "Microsoft-free" Dell 1525 with a glossy screen, and before this I would never have considered getting a glossy screen laptop. However after a couple of weeks of use in a number of situations I'm pleasantly surprised how the refections seem to disappear when the screen in on - even at lowish brightness levels.

Interesting. I have been looking seriously at the 1525 myself. Are you generally pleased with the machine? And do you feel Dell has done a good job setting up Ubuntu on it-- i.e. everything works? Including little items, like the webcam? I had gone to Bestbuy to have a look at the 1525, and wasn't very happy with the gaudy sort of silver color that they made the entire interior of the machine including the keyboard, screen frame, hand rests, and touchpad. It just seemed like the silver color itself would be sort of irritating on the eyes if you had to look at it all day long. How have you found it? Perhaps it's really not a big deal, but I don't see why they didn't just make it black. After all, a computer is not a pinball machine; for many of us, it is a workplace where we spend a lot of time. One thing I'll say though, you can't beat the price. They really pack in the chip, Ram and HD for the money.

swarup
May 28th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Back on the thread theme-- It seems like most posters here have been in favor of matte screens over glossy ones. One thing I'd have to say in this regard is that if you want a matte screen, it isn't so easy to find one preloaded with Linux/Ubuntu. The main suppliers I've looked at only sell glossy screens: Dell, System76, Zareason. There is a company called Emperor Linux which purchases very high end computers from OEM's like IBM, Sony, Dell, and sets them up professionally with any Linux distro you like-- but they are very pricey (in large part because they sell very pricey models).

So all those folks who've recently purchased laptops with matte screens and are using Ubuntu, does that mean you got a Windows machine and added Ubuntu to it yourself. I've set up quite number of machines with Linux up to now, but I've also heard that the latest laptop technology can make it quite difficult to set up Linux on and make it work properly.

For that reason, I've been looking at companies which sell laptops preloaded with Ubuntu on them. And virtually all the ones I've looked at--the ones listed above plus several others as well--only come with glossy screens. This is the reason I had been reconsidering the possibility of trying out a glossy screen for a change and seeing how it is.

jrusso2
May 28th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I don't like the wide screen or the glossy one but looks like its all they are making now so my next one will probably have both.

swarup
May 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I don't like the wide screen or the glossy one but looks like its all they are making now so my next one will probably have both.

Yes, the widescreen feature does seem a misuse of space. I think this widescreen trend likely developed due to the computer industry's perception that if they design laptops for movie-watching, they'll sell more machines. But those who do word processing, use the screen height more than that extra width. The word-processing page or the email window or whatever format one is writing in, doesn't use the whole width of the screen which then becomes wasted. But with a more square screen which is therefore taller and not as wide, as laptops screens used to be, one gets to see more lines of print on the screen.

jbrice
May 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Interesting. I have been looking seriously at the 1525 myself. Are you generally pleased with the machine? And do you feel Dell has done a good job setting up Ubuntu on it-- i.e. everything works? Including little items, like the webcam?
I reinstalled the 1525 with Hardy (it came with Gutsy installed) and everything hardware-wise worked with the built-in drivers (I chose the intel wireless card option) - including the web cam. Only problems were generic Ubuntu ones - e.g. sound settings.
(If you go down the 1525 route, remember to burn a DVD from the ISO you will find on the desktop, before zapping the original install - the DVD image includes a .deb for the LinDVD commercial DVD player that plays DVDs without any CSS hassles.)

JB

swarup
May 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I reinstalled the 1525 with Hardy (it came with Gutsy installed) and everything hardware-wise worked with the built-in drivers (I chose the intel wireless card option) - including the web cam.

Did you download and install the generic Hardy .iso from the Ubuntu website? I thought that Dell (as well as all the other companies who sell preinstalled Linux laptops) has to write various patches to make all the hardware work, because it isn't possible for Linux distros to keep up with all the highly proprietary, latest laptop hardware. And for that reason, isn't there a special window on the Dell Website for download of Ubuntu iso's which include the patches for the Dell laptops?

If you installed the generic Hardy iso from the Ubuntu website and everything worked out of the box, that is pretty impressive.

jbrice
June 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Did you download and install the generic Hardy .iso from the Ubuntu website?
Yes I used the generic Hardy iso - in fact it was the RC version ISO plus subsequent automatic updates. The last time I looked, the Dell site had only Gusty and earlier ISO images.
It's still working fine - although I now notice a few minor oddities like the wifi indicator light not working and occasional spurious error messages about standby not working (when in fact it has worked OK). Certainly a lot fewer "issues" than I had recently with Vista on another new laptop from the same supplier (I should add that I have yet to test video out and firewire the connection as I do not have the appropriate cables, likewise the built-in modem.)

rajaram_s
June 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have a glossy screen laptop only... I personally feel its no good... The colours I understand are excellent.. but the reflectin causes a lot of problems.... Also, a very improtant point I hate about glossy screens is that it absorbs dust like anything and are also difficult to be cleaned.... in a matte screen a simple wipe eould do the job.. I had matte screen on my old laptop... I dint like it much at that time since I was new to LCDs... now comparing it wit glossy screens, I find it lot better

billgoldberg
June 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
I am looking at purchasing a laptop as my next Ubuntu box. I've been using the same laptop for the last 10 years, and it has a matte screen. Which I like and have never had any problem with-- but I've been to Bestbuy to check out how the new laptops are and I must say, these glossy screens are eye-catching.

Looking around the web, people seem to have love-hate relationships with them. Some say they are the greatest thing on earth and much clearer than the matte screen; and others say they (glossy screens) are irritating to the eye, full of reflections, and give one a headache. From what I can tell, gamers tend to prefer the glossy screens. And business people seem to prefer the matte screens.

Matte screen users seem to often look down their noses at the glossy screens, saying they are just used by companies because they look great on the storeshelf, and are just to attract customers for a quick-sell. --Useless and even disturbing, matte users say, for the serious computer user who is going to be on the keyboard for many hours a day.

I do virtually all word-processing, spending 9-11 hours per day on the computer. Mostly word-processing, but also a fair bit of web browsing. And no gaming.

I note that most laptop screens being sold these days are of the glossy type, and would like to know how users of these glossy screens find them to be. Particularly for non-gaming applications: word-processing, data bases, spreadsheets, and also web browsing.

I'd be quite willing to try my hand at a glossy screen--after all they do look quite shiny and beautiful with vibrant colors and clear images--but of course once a laptop is purchased it really can't be returned. Is that immediate eye-catching beauty which people like, worth what others describe as the risk of eye irritation and even headache with prolonged use?

I've used both matte and glossy ones.

I can honestly say I'll never buy glossy screens again.

You are right when you say they hurt the eyes more and some of them have horrible sunlight reflection.

ardvark71
June 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hi...

I'm not completely sure if "bright screen" qualifies as glossy (or if it's the same thing) but if so, I have no problems with mine. No headaches or other problems here. ;)

Best Regards...

PartisanEntity
June 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
My old Asus laptop has a matte screen which I like, but the colours on my Macbook, which has a reflective screen, are definately much richer and brighter.

The main difference I noticed is that it is hard to see the matte screen outdoors with strong sun light.

2hot6ft2
December 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Found this thread while looking for a solution to this glossy screen my new laptop has. I see this thread is rather old but here goes anyway.

It's a laptop for gods sake it's supposed to be able to be used in changing lighting environments. Took this outside yesterday morning and HAD TO bring it back inside to see what I was doing.

Things (pages etc) with a white background and black text can be seen if the light hits it at the right angle but a black or dark background with white or colored text forget it.

Glossy is ok for indoors but outside give me a matte screen.

C.S.Cameron
December 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
You can see if the boss is sneaking up behind you.

theozzlives
December 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
my Dell has a matte screen, and I am the boss.