PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multi-user PC sharing application data

m0ezp
May 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM
My first post! After two weeks of learning and frustrations Ubuntu is growing on me but I'm still in the dark with file sharing between users on the same PC...

How can I install something and get each user to share data in that application? The examples I've hit so far are with DOSEMU and WINE where I want all to access the same virtual C drive.

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
winecfg
Goto Drives tab and assign a common destination for drive C

hyper_ch
May 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
My first post! After two weeks of learning and frustrations Ubuntu is growing on me but I'm still in the dark with file sharing between users on the same PC...

Be more specific about what you want to do.

m0ezp
May 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
LinuxIsInnovation thanks for the Wine tip - I'll try a glass of that.

hyper_ch - A less DOS/Win example is Thunderbird where I want all the users to share a mail store. I put the mail store on a separate partition, created a folder and shared it. All users can see the Thunderbird mail store but Thunderbird is always 'doing something'. I'm guessing that it's trying to open the local store and hitting some access difficulty but can't be certain.

hyper_ch
May 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
for thunderbird I would symlink the profile location in your home directory to the profile location onthe shared partition. What filesystem does that shared partition have?

m0ezp
May 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks. I'm also sharing the mail store with Win XP (which works ok) so it's a FAT32 file system. What does symlink do?

Wim Sturkenboom
May 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Same as a windows shortcut.

hyper_ch
May 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'd say a windows shortcut is rather a launcher than a symlink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symlink

m0ezp
May 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have a play. Any issues using symlink with a FAT32 partition?

hyper_ch
May 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
You can link TO a FAT32 partition but you can't create a symlink on the fat32 partition. So you /home/user must not be on a fat32 partition.