PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed to execute child process "/usr/games/PlaneShift/uninstall" (Permission denied)

vlad1975
May 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Could someone please tell me how to manually uninstall this. i just sick of trying to make this work now its telling me that i cant even uninstal it

sharks
May 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
just type sudo aptitude remove (package name)

Trail
May 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
You need root permitions for what you are trying to do (sudo).

vlad1975
May 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
is this the right command?

sudo apt/remove/Planeshift

?????

sharks
May 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
sudo aptitude remove PlaneShift

billgoldberg
May 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
is this the right command?

sudo apt/remove/Planeshift

?????

it should be

sudo aptitude remove planeshift

"sudo" means you need root access

"aptitude" is the package manager you are using

"remove" speaks for itself

and "planeshift" is the program you want to remove

Wilbefast
September 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Ubuntu can be really patronising at times - you can't so much as pick your noise without it whining about permissions. I'm new to this so I'm still trying to figure out how to shut it up for good - until I do though, here's a quick fix:

sudo chown {username} {Planeshift directory} -R

In English this reads "as super-user (sudo) change the rights for the Planeshift directory (chown) and all files inside it (-R) so that it belongs to this user".

You can also put a group after the username ({username}:{group}) to allow a whole group access.

William

3rdalbum
September 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Ubuntu can be really patronising at times - you can't so much as pick your noise without it whining about permissions. I'm new to this so I'm still trying to figure out how to shut it up for good

That's the wrong approach and the wrong attitude. You can't write to locations outside your home directory and /tmp unless you are root. This is the way things have been on Unix since its inception in the 1960s, it's the way Linux has always been since the 1990s, and it's the way Linux and Unix will always be. It's also the way that Apple and Microsoft operating systems are moving, too, because it's still the best way to run the system securely without stuffing things up.

If you don't like Ubuntu telling you permission denied, then work within the system and elevate to root whenever necessary. Stop thinking in the Windows mindset and start thinking in the Linux mindset, and you'll automatically put "sudo" before any modification outside your home directory.

Chmodding random directories can cause a heap of problems.

Oh, and the people advising to run "sudo apt-get remove planeshift", there is no package by that name in the Ubuntu repositories. Please check for this (sudo apt-cache show planeshift) before advising this way.

To the original poster: run:

sudo /usr/games/PlaneShift/uninstall

You need to be root in order to modify anything outside your home directory. The "sudo" before the command says "Run the rest of this command as root". The rest of the command is actually just the location of the uninstaller program.

In future it's easier to stick with the software repositories, or add third-party repositories or Debian packages. They are easier to add, remove, and otherwise manage.