PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel update question

FokkerCharlie
May 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Hello, and good evening from Windy Cheshire!

The auto update feature installed a new kernel version a couple of hours ago, and it seems that I have successfully advanced to 2.6.24-17-generic. However, the option to boot the previous version still exists (and works) in GRUB. uname -r returns the appropriate versions (16 or 17, according to my GRUB selection), and both seem to work fine.

So, it looks like I have 2 kernels installed. Is this a desirable situation? Should I remove the older one? If so, how? Or perhaps I would just be better editing menu.lst for cosmetic effect?

And while we're at it, where can I find a list of the improvements that -17 brings?

Thanks!
Charlie

brommage
May 27th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Don't worry about having multiple kernels installed, Charlie. They take up very little space.

A desirable solution to your problem might be to update your settings in /boot/grub/menu.lst to only show a boot prompt for the most recent kernel.

tgm4883
May 27th, 2008, 12:20 AM
That is how you want to have it (listing both kernels) The new kernel should be the default, and if you had encountered any problems when booting it you could have easily reverted back to the old kernel.

FokkerCharlie
May 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks, chaps.

Have a good evening.

Charlie

philinux
May 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM
You can install startupmanager from synaptic. You can tell it to display the number of kernels.

I would not uninstall previous ones in case of problems but SUM keeps grub menu clean. And you can always change it easily.

iansane
May 27th, 2008, 12:32 AM
sorry to but in but when should one draw the line. There have been a lot of kernel updates in the last few months and everytime I get one for server, I have to install the one for Desktop too because I have ubuntu desktop and nvidia drivers which require the desktop kernel to build and install.

So everytime I get an update, I end up with server, server recovery, generic, and generic recovery. They build up quick and now grub fills my entire screen.

Is it safe to use synaptic to remove all but the newest and the last one?

I'm afraid if I remove them, something depending on one of them will fail.

iansane
May 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
You can install startupmanager from synaptic. You can tell it to display the number of kernels.

I would not uninstall previous ones in case of problems but SUM keeps grub menu clean. And you can always change it easily.

sorry, you answered my question while I was typing it.

philinux
May 27th, 2008, 12:39 AM
You can also remove the older ones via synaptic.

wariskampar
May 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hello, i also face similar problem here. Update kernel using Update Manager last night but GRUB still use old kernel. How do I ensure UBuntu to use new kernel. I already installed StartUpManager(SUM), but can not see new kernel option in OS option.

brommage
May 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hello, i also face similar problem here. Update kernel using Update Manager last night but GRUB still use old kernel. How do I ensure UBuntu to use new kernel. I already installed StartUpManager(SUM), but can not see new kernel option in OS option.

run:

sudo update-grub

It should update the menu.lst file to give you the most recent kernel on the boot prompt.