PDA

View Full Version : Why is KDE 4 desktop to stupid?

magnus0
May 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Why can't i edit files on the desktop. When I right-click somewhere, it doesn't show options to make a new file or a new folder etc. It only shows some settings and widget stuff? Is it supoosed to be like that or can I change that?

p_quarles
May 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions.

The KDE4 desktop is "so stupid" because large parts of it are in early development. The new basis for the desktop UI -- Plasma -- is not very functional in KDE 4.0. In KDE 4.1 -- which is in alpha, and not yet available in the Ubuntu repositories -- a lot of the intended functionality is there.

leon.hh
May 26th, 2008, 10:28 PM
What you need it's patience... KDE 4.0 it's not really KDE4, it's just an extended beta (to give it some name), it is not intended to be used for regular users but for those who want to experience what it's GOING TO BE KDE4, which means that KDE 4.0 it's more artistic than practical: "All the major functions and settings are disabled".

I recommend you to install KDE 3.5.9 and wait for the release of KDE 4.1 which will be the "true KDE4" (this could be at the end of this year or at the beginning of the next one)

fredbird67
May 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I agree -- KDE4 *IS* stupid! And I'm someone who was a KDE guy through and through. That is, until I saw what KDE4 looked like and tried it out. It sucked so bad I switched to GNOME, which, for a long time I never cared for at all, but I have to say that GNOME is now my desktop of choice, and it's all because of KDE4.

Fred in St. Louis

maniacmusician
May 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM
What you need it's patience... KDE 4.0 it's not really KDE4, it's just an extended beta (to give it some name), it is not intended to be used for regular users but for those who want to experience what it's GOING TO BE KDE4, which means that KDE 4.0 it's more artistic than practical: "All the major functions and settings are disabled".

I recommend you to install KDE 3.5.9 and wait for the release of KDE 4.1 which will be the "true KDE4" (this could be at the end of this year or at the beginning of the next one)
Err, not really.

4.1 will be released this summer, and while it will have enough features to be usable, it won't reach feature parity with 3.5 until 4.2 is released, which is planned for January of next year.

If you want to test 4.1 before it's out, KDE4Daily is a great way to do it; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=807766 or http://dot.kde.org/1211789022/ .

Also, KDE4 is re-thinking the concept of the old "Desktop" where it was simply a representation of the "Desktop" folder. If you want folders on your desktop, it can be achieved through the "Folder View" widget that's being shipped with 4.1; it's already in SVN trunk, and it's included in the latest KDE4Daily as well.

The folder view wiget makes it so you can have representations of as many or as few folders as you want, and lets you neatly organize the concept of having folders on the desktop. I think it's a huge improvement over the old system, where things from the ~/Desktop folder were simply sprawled across your screen messily.

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 27th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I agree -- KDE4 *IS* stupid! And I'm someone who was a KDE guy through and through. That is, until I saw what KDE4 looked like and tried it out. It sucked so bad I switched to GNOME, which, for a long time I never cared for at all, but I have to say that GNOME is now my desktop of choice, and it's all because of KDE4.

Fred in St. Louis

KDE developers seems to have fallen in Love with Vista.( Just look at the black theme)
KDE has seriously pissed off even a hardcore KDE fan like me.

Why was this thread moved to Recurring Discussions?

cardinals_fan
May 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Fred in St. Louis
It's your choice ;)

BTW, aren't the Cards doing great this year? I had low expectations, but look what's happened :)

geoken
May 27th, 2008, 03:31 AM
KDE developers seems to have fallen in Love with Vista.( Just look at the black theme)
KDE has seriously pissed off even a hardcore KDE fan like me.

And it's impressed hardcore Gnome users like me.

This thread was moved to recurring discussions because it was the millionth thread on this topic.

RiceMonster
May 27th, 2008, 03:48 AM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=807174
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=802933
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=804848

Just on the first page I found three threads about KDE. There's been enough "sup gice kde/kde4 sux" threads.