PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing 7zip

Tribulation
May 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've been trying to install 7zip, and I'm finding in add/remove programs easy enough. After installing it though I don't see it in my applications menu. When I right click a file and choose to open with another application I don't see 7zip in there. I removed it and re-installed it today and while I was at it I installed comix as well which I saw in the "Programs added" window after it was done, but I didn't see 7zip. In the Synaptic Package Manager I see four things when searching for 7zip:

p7zip
p7zip-full
p7zip-rar
xarchive

When looking at the properties it says it's in utilities but I don't know where that is

Duck2006
May 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I've been trying to install 7zip, and I'm finding in add/remove programs easy enough. After installing it though I don't see it in my applications menu. When I right click a file and choose to open with another application I don't see 7zip in there. I removed it and re-installed it today and while I was at it I installed comix as well which I saw in the "Programs added" window after it was done, but I didn't see 7zip. In the Synaptic Package Manager I see four things when searching for 7zip:

p7zip
p7zip-full
p7zip-rar
xarchive

When looking at the properties it says it's in utilities but I don't know where that is

In synaptic it's p7zip, if not loaded load p7zip full

Monicker
May 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
You won't see a menu item for 7zip, because its a command line application. It does, however, get integrated with the gui archive manager once it has been installed. Right click on a folder and select Create Archive, which will give you an option for making a .7z archive. You can extract a .7z file by right clicking on it also.