PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is Preload

wariskampar
May 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hello,
I am 'ok' with my Ubuntu current responsiveness but since I just come to know about Preload feature, why not! if i try. What is this thing actually. IN XP, there is Prefetch thing, it is available in Ubuntu as well. Is Preload deserve a try? Btw this is my sys spec;Pentium M 1.83Ghz, 1GB RAM and 1.29GB SWAP Partition

Xiong Chiamiov
May 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM
You'll have to be a bit more specific what it is you're asking about. What is this Prefetch, and what does it do?

twright
May 26th, 2008, 11:21 AM
preload, the package

it can make some things open quicker but the difference is not that noticeable

sayakb
May 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yes, preload is like prefetch in XP. It would show noticable outcomes only if you have a handsome amount of RAM (not much you get on a 1GB RAM). It caches the applications you mostly use on the disk so that they can be quickly loaded on further execution.

wariskampar
May 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
@Xiong Chiamiov; how more specific should i be?
@LinuxIsInnovation; in that case i have to hold myself from using Preload until I upgrade my RAM. However, can I set Ubuntu to cache my favorite program in SWAP Partition instead of physical RAM because I see Ubuntu only use a bit of SWAP capacity (show 0% in Conky).
ps: that arises another question, how does SWAP function:)NVM, i'll google it

sayakb
May 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Preload caches on the disk itself, just like prefetch. You might use preload, but it will not show any drastic changes. You might also increase the "swappiness" that would increase swap usage. Since your Hard drive is much slower than your RAM, increased swap usage will decrease system performance. So if swap is 0%, its a good thing that most of the processes are being handled by the RAM itself.