PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Complete security management application?

tinny
May 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone new of a complete Linux security management application? Ideally a one stop GUI application that you could use to manage your Firewall, SSH config etc..

Cheers

ShinHadoken
May 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry, not that I know of.... That's kind of how linux is. When it comes to security, there goes your simplicity. But still, I hope I'm wrong! =)

euler_fan
May 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM
There are some firewall box applications/distros out there with GUI's on top of them . . . Smoothwall comes to mind. Endian is another. Endian may or may not be useful on a host.

If you want a sophisticated on host security manager--albeit command line and text config files--I'd suggest either samhain or ossec-hids. I haven't messed around with Samhain, but if you can get it to email you alerts, it's pretty useful.

Happy hunting.

tinny
May 26th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Yeah, the tools we have on linux for power users are fantastic!!! But what about if im a noob that just wants to use the internet, email and a word processor? Id probably want a "basic" security application that could manage my firewall, remote login security (ssh, vnc) and backups much like the Norton or McAfee suite of products does.

Its a hard sell to tell basic computer users they need to jump onto the command line to do all this stuff and yes in Linux they dont really need all this security stuff but as I said its a hard sell...

Im currently trying to convert several people from windows to Ubuntu linux (Mum, Dad, Brother etc..) and they keep on asking me "Wheres the anti virus", "Wheres the firewall" etc...